Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Added last(?) coach battery

Put fourth and possibly last Optima Blue AGM deepcycle battery in my battery cabinet.At 55 Amp hours apiece that gives me 220 amp hours.I say possibly the last because I think I can squeeze one more.These are all from my local Interstate battery store.they get take backs from Costco ,slap their Econo Power label on them and sell them for $90.00 ($80 with old battery return).One year warranty.Interstate is setup to make cables.I brought my own cable and they put the ends on for me with colored shrinkwrap.Very slick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0346.JPG (82.2 KB, 922 views)
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Added last(?) coach battery

So around $1.64 per ah - that's good for AGM I think. Certainly better pricing than around here.

It all looks pretty snug in there so they probably can't shift around but is there chance of fitting in some sort of battery hold down? Maybe wood attached to the closet sides? I'm just thinking about something that would keep them from getting tossed around in a minor crash.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes very snug. They're not going anywhere but was thinking of a shelf above. The only worry is overheating while charging which they do as long as there is sunlight or I'm driving.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

BTW. Optima Bluetops retail for $225.00. Each. I'm lucky to have an Interstate battery that gets the returns on such a regular basis.Now I have almost the same amp hrs as my Bounder.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Gold Member

Hi Stan, i have a question for you on your optima install.

I have two of the same OBT 55ah batteries in my Parkliner and have gone round and round with other fiberglass egg owners on the "Safety" issue of having AGM batteries inside the rig (it came from the factory like this.) Anywhoo i went ahead and vented the battery box cuz it was an easy and fun mod and just felt like the thing to do.

Here is a pic of my battery box and some mods i did inside the TT:

Here is what it looks like with the lid on before the bench seat lid is closed:

After all my research i am comfortable with having these batteries under a bench in my living area and feel the simple vent(s) to/from the outside will do what they have to if there is ever a rare-off-gassing-venting. In our Van, I was considering going up to the larger 75ah battery that has the built in 1/4" vent ready for 1/4" OD tubing that would be vented outside. Maybe someday i'll add a house battery or two to the rig.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

AGM batteries don't off gas as they charge. That is why I chose them. You are in more danger now by creating an opening for vermin to get inside and expose youselves to Hanta virus.I'm kidding of course. I would have definitely gone wet cell if I had your setup. More amp hours for a lot less money. Lead acid batteries are less delicate and more forgiving of abuse. It remains to be seen how long these AGMs last but I've gotten 6 or 7 years out of wet cell batteries. I'm hoping the gentle charging from my 155 watt solar panel and charge controller will add to their longevity. I only charge from the alternator or panels.My van has no converter/charger because of how we use it. We only go to primitive campgrounds or boondock and don't plug in but maybe someday we will get a generator and use a charger but don't see that happening soon.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It doesn't take a lot to vent a wet cell battery. My 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau Legend Sprinter had the house battery under the passenger seat. This was Mercedes Benz's method for venting using a 1/4" plastic tube to a cell cover and out through the floor. I understand this is a common way to vent motorcycle batteries.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have even read posts on other sites where people use lead acid batteries indoors and don't vent at all. I think they are still amongst us. Obviously I would not do this myself.