Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Adding kitchen shelf

I would like some more counter space. I was thinking of using something that would clamp over the top of the shelf edge and allow the shelf to hang flat against the wall when not in use. Underneath the shelf would need to have a support that rested either on the floor or against the wall. Again, all would have to hang flat when not in use.

The chair is not used except by my dog.

Anybody got any ideas how I could accomplish this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Counter 2.jpg (154.5 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg RV Counter.jpg (153.2 KB, 837 views)
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Adding kitchen shelf

How about a large piano hinge that would allow the table to fold up towards the ceiling? A pvc pipe leg to support the table when in use. When the table was folded up, you would need a way to secure it in that position. Or... buying one of the folding counter extensions and mounting it upside down so that the table would again fold up? You may have to take the extension off and turn it over somehow to make it work. Good luck.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I haven't heard of the folding counter extensions. Do you get them from a RV place or a Home Depot type of place?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Check Ebay, Amazon, Camping world, your nearest RV store. I haven't seen them at the Home Depot but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Maybe someone could post a link here to help you out. (I don't know how).
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I bought a counter top extension from Camping World. Photos: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=33&t=555

I also bought some Stanley flip up / fold down shelf brackets from Home Depot and used them for a similar project. Photos: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2402 It's not the best choice for RV use because it rattles. I secure it with a bungee cord.

Another idea would be the dining table bracket that is just visible at the top of this photo: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...&t=2327#p12633 It's the strip screwed to the wall. It comes as part of a kit containing a single fold-up support leg. The leg is shown in subsequent photos.

I saw some bamboo cutting boards at a Dollar Store that would make an attractive counter extension. Much better looking than the white pressed wood one I made.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Lots of good ideas. Thank you. Particularly like the bamboo cutting board idea if I can find one large enough.