Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Alpine w/GPS/Sirius/iPhone

Howdy - an ex-Roadtreker here - posted frequently when I had my 190 Versatile - showed pics of the laptop pedestal(s) that I built for the R/T (and my F 150 too), upon which I secured my laptop and ran my MS S&T for GPS. Worked great (still does for the F 150) but for my new "ride" the laptop either sits on the pax seat when I'm driving alone, or on the lap of my Wife when she's along - not a good deal !

I absolutely refused to get one of the portable GPS units - the display, for me, is too small - so, I've recently (like 2 days ago) had an Alpine 1 DIN head unit installed to replace my OEM BMW radio. The 1 DIN fits into the "slot" that the old radio used to occupy and has a 7" flip-out screen. I opted to get the GPS, Sirius radio, iPhone docking add-ons. The head unit comes with DVD/CD player, AM/FM radio.

This is an excellent set-up and I highly recommend it for others who have the "Baby Bear" idea about GPS (not too big, not too small but just right)

I would have gotten the 2 DIN unit (stays exposed when "off") but I would have had to relocate either my HVAC or my MID unit (multi-info-display - onboard computer) and done some fabrication. I'm getting the 2 DIN for my Wife's vehicle however - it'll fit in without fabrication or moving anything.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0502.JPG (186.9 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0369.JPG (180.8 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0500.JPG (181.0 KB, 718 views)
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alpine w/GPS/Sirius/iPhone

Very nice.

We're still using a portable Garmin - it showed us driving "off road" for 20 minutes outside Sudbury, ON. "Recalculating"
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote