Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #1

Default anyone ever converted a RT toilet?

I'm buying a 1997 Roadtrek 190 this week. Generally love it, but one modification I'm curious about is converting the marine-style toilet to a porta potty.

I know there are some disadvantages to the porta, but the big advantage I see is that you can easily take the tank (2.5 gal or 5 gal) out of the rig and dump it into any toilet -- thus saving the hassle with pumpout stations, leaky hoses, incomplete emptying, etc.

Has anyone out there ever attempted this? If yes, how, and are you satisfied? Anyone else want to talk me out of this idea?

In a perfect world, after this hypothetical mod, I'd also figure out a way to combine the grey and black tanks -- making one big grey (42 gal total in my rig), which I could easily dump on my own property. But I have no idea if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance...
exilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: anyone ever converted a RT toilet?

For resale value I'd keep the toilet with the holding tank. The waste tank is not that difficult to empty once you've had some practice. Gravity does the work. Waste just flows into the dump station pit.

Maybe, use it like it is for a while.

That said, you can make the changes you want fairly easily.

1. Cap off the source of the fresh water line to the existing toilet and completely clear that line of any water. If you can't find the source then I'd put a single faucet on the end of that fresh water line. You need to be able to run water through it occasionally to keep the water fresh and also to sanitize the system and also get RV anti-freeze through it for winterizing.

2. Remove the toilet and plug the hole. The black abs plastic flange in my RV is a threaded connection. Remove the flange and screw in a cap.

3. Add a waste valve downstream of the two existing waste valves. If you close the new valve and open the two old valves the water level in the two waste tanks will equalize. Totally flush out the black tank before using the system this way. I'd add the new valve before the waste hose connection and after the two existing valves.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Default Re: anyone ever converted a RT toilet?

Good advice -- thanks.
Yeah, if I do make this mod, I'll keep the old toilet, and make all my changes reversible.
exilio is offline   Reply With Quote