Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Batteries into genny space test fit

Still doing the preliminary fits and checks for the winters battery upgrade. Made the dummy batteries a few days ago, welded up the main support today. It looks like we will just sneak in with both width and height. Height is limited by the curve of the van frame on the edges hitting the battery post on one end, and on the body mount on the front edge outside. The bottom of the frame will still be a bit higher than the swaybar mount bottom and quite a bit above the bottom of the differential. The support for the rear should be able to go into the 4 generator mount holes, with a piece of steel between them on each end. The front looks like an angle between the two body mounts on the frame should work to hang the supports. All in all looks pretty doable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat test right.jpg (47.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bat test left.jpg (51.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bat test left close.jpg (52.4 KB, 6 views)
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Great idea to do the test fit.

At your current rate of progress on this upgrade and that things look to be going smoothly I suspect it might get done sooner than planned.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Great idea to do the test fit.

At your current rate of progress on this upgrade and that things look to be going smoothly I suspect it might get done sooner than planned.
Highly unlikely it will get done early, but it will give me a good headstart on some of the more difficult stuff come winter. We have a fall trip planned and I don't want to risk not being done . If it was just batteries, might do it, but with the plan now including a new inverter/charger, best to be patient.

With as tight as the space is to do 4 across, there was no way I could measure close enough to all the stuff to be sure. I do wish the real batteries were as light as the cardboard ones, though.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Will you be boosting the spring capacity to deal with the additional battery weight?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The batteries and mounting stuff will probably come in at a bit over 300#. Our current 3 batteries and the Onan that was in that space, which all go away, were about 330#, so we will net out pretty even. I think it will move the weight slightly to the rear, however, so we will get a bit more weight on the back than we currently have. I need to measure the current and future locations in relation to the rear axle to figure out better how much the weight will shift.

We already have the 5000# capacity AirLift rear airbags in place, running at about 35psi out of 100psi max, so the extra weight shouldn't be any issue in the rear. The tires are also 2 sizes up at 265-75-16 so we have much more window there than most Roadtreks. The weight we lose off the front isn't desirable, but hopefully it won't be very much.