Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default BBQ Mod

OK a mini-mod!

My old BBQ works great. The problem is that I didn't have anywhere to store it in our current camper van. It wouldn't fit into the rear storage because of the high handle. The opening to the area is too small.

I was looking through an old box of hardware I had and saw two very light weight pulls or handles. They are metal but they are hollow. I hope the thin metal and hollow design will mean that they won't get too hot on the BBQ. If they do I'll just have to use oven mitts.

So I removed the BBQ top handle and filled the two holes with a very flat bolts and tightened the nuts underneath. Then I drilled holes for the new handles and installed them - one on each side of the BBQ top.

This particular BBQ works well. I've had similar looking ones that tend to burn everything. Not this one.

Now it easily fits in my storage area and the flat top provides a place to store my Coleman stove.

I usually store the BBQ in a large trash bag. That stops any unwanted odors from getting into the van living area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ Mod1.jpg (196.7 KB, 1765 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ Mod2.jpg (148.3 KB, 1765 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ Mod3.jpg (162.6 KB, 1765 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ Mod4.jpg (165.4 KB, 1766 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ Mod5.jpg (263.4 KB, 1766 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: BBQ Mod

I did something similar. I have a Weber Go-Anywhere rectangular charcoal grill, which has metal handles (covered with thick gray plastic so they don't get hot) riveted to the body on both sides and on top. To save a little bit of space, I drilled out the rivets, continued the drill holes through the top and sides of the grill. Then I mounted a bolt with the head inside. I carry the grill with handles off and use wing nuts to put the handles on when I set up to cook.

Worked great, except this year's fire bans meant we only got to use it twice in 5 weeks! And I got to put 3300 miles on a bag of charcoal.

Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

if you notice a drop in water pressure if/when boondocking, might want to check to see if your load has shifted during your trip, and bumped your pump or the wiring loose.
nice mod, in any event. simple, and virtually free.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Good observation Mike. The grey box is the 120v panel and it protrudes enough to prevent the Coleman from moving to the right in the photo. The Coleman has to go in handle first because the handle side fits between the 120v panel and the side of the compartment. The Coleman won't fit in with the handle side facing out. Also, I use that non-slip shelf liner stuff often. There is a piece of it on top of the BBQ. Then when the plywood door closes it actually presses against the Coleman and pretty much locks it in tight.

It is hard to describe but this little mod is bigger than just a BBQ - it has given us the feeling that we can make this van work for us. Storage space is limited. I miss all the storage space in the rear of my RT 190P. I used to fit the BBQ, Coleman, two lounge chairs and two other chairs in the rear of the RT. I'm using one of the two closets inside for the two lounge chairs and two other chairs now.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote