Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 01:29 AM   #1

Default Best wireless rear camera

Trying to find out what is the best rear or back up camera for my 2012 Roadtrek 210 Simplicity chevy
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
Platinum Member

costco had one that was pretty easy- it was wired to the back up lights so when you shift into reverse the system would work.

I think it was about $120...I started to set it up but the camera mount would obscure too much of my plate- so I returned it.

update:

http://www.costco.com/Yada%C2%AE-Wir...100145343.html

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

Thanks I would need a higher mount due to cargo carrier
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

yes- I was hesitant to mount into the fiberglass cap ( no holes)- I looked at the AC shroud to mount, but then it needs wiring to the back up lights and...

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I've got this one, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Yada Digital Wireless Backup Camera with 4.3-in Dash Mount | Canadian Tire
It was originally intended for another application. The camera will run off any active 12VDC power source near the rear end of your van, with some minor modifications, and the camera will run if plugged into a similar 12VDC accessory outlet in the cockpit.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:30 AM   #6

Default Backup camera

I tried a couple of wireless back cameras on my 2000 RT 190, but was unhappy with the video quality and small video display size. One had a tiny 2.5 inch screen and one had a 3.5 inch screen. I think that the distance from the rear camera to the dashboard was too far for the broadcast to come in clearly with either unit. Probably would have been better in a car or SUV.

I finally went with a 7 inch wired unit from Costco that cost $200. The picture size is fantastic and the video quality is excellent. The camera is mounted high in the rear looking down and I ran wires into the AC vent cavity.

I mounted the display up front and hooked into power at the fuse panel. I drilled thru the long narrow cupboard above the stove/microwave and the TV cabinet, and ran the wires from the front via the overhead shelf tray and all the way back to the rear driver side cupboard. Finally, I drilled thru the rear cupboard into the AC cavity area and fished the camera wires with factory connector pre-attached, from the rear cupboard to the camera mounting hole. Then, I simply plugged the camera plug into the connector jack, secured the camera and have had a fantastic back up camera system since.

I like the camera pointed down to show the edge of the rear bumper. The display has 3, 2, 1 grid lines to help you gauge distance when backing up in parking lots or into a camping spot. Since you can leave the camera on full time, you could aim the camera out more if you wanted it to serve as a rear view mirror.

2000 Roadtrek 190P
Tiki Hut is offline   Reply With Quote