Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 01:17 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
I see this is an older thread, yes.... Has anyone else tried the larger radiator install? Comments, suggestions, additions?
I think this will be one of the next projects for me
Do some web searching. Looks like the FF fan has mixed results. Best fix is the transmission control unit that provides better torque converter lockup that booster has posted. I haven’t done that yet but would like to some day.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #22
Gold Member

@peteco - I'm already doing the HP tuners torque converter lockup stuff right now. The web search is what brought me here, lots of good information!! The torque converter lock up won't do much for sitting in traffic, which is where I'm having overheating issues. I could go with a medium duty or heavy duty fan clutch but don't want the mile per gallon hit when on the freeway.
I'm hoping upgrading the radiator will remedy the standstill overheating issue, or at least keep it below the ~230F which is what I get currently just parked. that or electric fans, but having a bigger radiator seems like a better idea. maybe I'll throw an additional electric Pusher fan on and see what happens.
tlillard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
@peteco - I'm already doing the HP tuners torque converter lockup stuff right now. The web search is what brought me here, lots of good information!! The torque converter lock up won't do much for sitting in traffic, which is where I'm having overheating issues. I could go with a medium duty or heavy duty fan clutch but don't want the mile per gallon hit when on the freeway.
I'm hoping upgrading the radiator will remedy the standstill overheating issue, or at least keep it below the ~230F which is what I get currently just parked. that or electric fans, but having a bigger radiator seems like a better idea. maybe I'll throw an additional electric Pusher fan on and see what happens.
Great. Please report how the tuner goes. I am a bit technology challenged on that kind of mod. Interested in the fan mod too, but not for cooling as mine does fine in traffic or idle. I am curious how much MPG improvement you get.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:

That is very interesting that you get that hot at just sitting in gear. The big question would be if that is if you just start the van, put it in gear, and see hot hot it gets, or is it in traffic after you stop?

We never got anywhere near that hot sitting unless it was right after driving and building up a lot of heat in the transmission to get rid of.

Perhaps you have a clutch fan failure going on, but depends on the above question.

What was in the works to seriously investigate was to find a medium/heavy duty truck electric clutch fan to get the best of all worlds. Horton was top on the list for aftermarket, but maybe an OEM would also be available. I never pursued it after doing all the normal big radiator, electric fans, external coolers, airflow direction, and what really helped the reprogramming, as our issue is totally gone for the way we use it. We don't tow heavy which changes everything, I think.

We also did one more mod that actually did help a bit, I think, especially when paired with extra coolers and big radiator. That is to put a GMC grille in the Chevy van. IIRC it has over 20% more open area than the Chevy version. Paired with the air removing side vents on the fenders, which is also an option, you might be able to move a lot more air through the cooling stuff and engine compartment.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:39 AM   #25
Gold Member

along with replacing the fan clutch - - -
I just sealed up the radiator area by adding some plastic sheeting (heavy milk jug type stuff instead of masticated rubber). I notice a huge difference in the cooling and amount air through the radiator area. The temp sensor on the rearview mirror used to track the intake temperature, fairly quickly heating up and A/C would warm up when stopped/idling. Now the rearview stays close to ambient, while the intake still rises when parked/idling.