Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bike racks - Rear Door Mount

I keep going back and forth on this idea. The cargo box purchase fell apart when the company asked for an additional $460 shipping - That's after I checked out and paid for the box. The box was $579 less $70 coupon ............

So I started planning the door mount idea again.

Then I saw some hitch cargo racks on sale for $30. I don't need the racks but I did want the 2" sq tube with 6" lift A big box would look like it was being dragged behind the van without the lift I think. A retailer here is moving to a new store so they would rather sell their stock rather than move it I guess.

I don't think I'll need the extension in the photo but at $7 I bought 2 just in case (one for each side). They sold out quickly. Looks like I'm going with a large metal box with bikes mounted on top. I found underbody truck boxes at three shops locally and the prices weren't too bad. I think I'll wait a bit to get a box on sale.

I'll reuse the four slides from my other sliding cargo box project. The box will slide away from the rear this time, not side to side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cargo box support.JPG (99.0 KB, 214 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #22
Platinum Member

How about a front mounted receiver hitch for the bikes. With one tire removed the bike may be able to clear the headlights. Just a thought!
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Platinum Member

That's a good idea for anyone who doesn't want to block the rear doors. You could easily cover the seat, handlebars & maybe cross bar to protect them from bugs.

I've gotten used to having a cargo box for storage and already have that added length on the rear. If I put the bikes upright on top of a box then I won't be adding to the overall length.

The big diesel in my van makes for a heavy front. Front: 4020 lbs & Rear: 3860 lbs when the van is pretty much empty. Front: 4040 lbs & Rear: 4780 lbs when fully loaded including a cargo cargo box and bikes aft of the box on the rear.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:58 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Hello .. ThanX 4 info .. Fiamma bike-carry looks good 4 me !