Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Just reviving this old topic with a idea to carry portable solar on the slide-away cargo box.

I was charging one of my portable lithium batteries via 170W solar panel (portable but huge) today and figured I put the panel on the bike racks on top of the cargo box to see if it would fit and how it looks etc.

It fits OK. It would be easy to bolt to the bike tracks as they have a long slot that the head of a bolt can slide into. 4 bolts & 4 wing nuts would make it easy to put on and take off.

Would this work for carrying the portable panel? Would you cover it? Turn it to face the van? Maybe slot it in between the box & the rear doors? I could also carry the bikes if it's between the box & rear doors.

solar panel on cargo box 0.JPG

solar panel on cargo box 1.JPG

solar panel on cargo box 2.jpg

solar panel on cargo box 3.JPG

solar panel on cargo box 4.JPG

I might not do it. There's 125W of solar on the van roof now. It could come in handy though............
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Beautiful work so far Mate - its never ever done.

Has anyone considered the Strida bikes?

I had a couple of the SX Models with the 18 inch wheels until 2018 - considerably faster & more stable - have a problem keeping up with racing bikes but otherwise I flew.

Very easy to store in fact when I had one I could fit it folded up inside the drivers side lower storage cabinet.

Overseas I would put it in the luggage - no charge pre Sept 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NQ...rb_top?ie=UTF8
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Seem like it would be buffeted by wind if it were angled up, as shown in the photos, even if it is in the lee of the van.

Interesting idea, though.

Tell me about the cargo box, please.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback.

For the box project, it's probably best to start at the first post here: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...-van-3382.html
Old 09-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #45
Platinum Member

I have experimented with a couple of scenarios: I use a Stowaway 2 which is on an extension to clear the spare tire. I bought a double receiver socket adapter and extended the Stowaway far enough to put a bike rack between. It worked but was not terribly convenient for opening the rear doors. I also tried mounting the Stowaway on the upper socket and the rack on a long extender underneath the Stowaway. That was even less satisfactory. Since we have foldable Bike Fridays I settled on folding them and am able to get them both underneath the rear seat without interfering with operating the bed. We lost storage under the seat but if we are going for an extended trip we mount the Stowaway.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Just thought I'd add that putting the box on the van and taking it off at home is a surprisingly easy.

The cargo box rests on a wooden frame on a flat movers dolly so it's easily moved around on the garage floor. The hitch receivers are higher than the cargo box arms when the van is at normal ride height. I just tilt the box back a bit and get the arms into the hitch receivers. Then it's a push lift move and it slides into place.

Taking the cargo box off is a one person job because of the Air lift suspension. I just lower the box onto its wheeled storage frame by letting air out of the bags. Then it just an easy pull back and slide away move. I use small 12V compressor that plugs into the trailer outlet via an adapter to air up again.

It would be a two person job if away from home.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #47
Platinum Member

My Stowaway has casters mounted on the bottom which makes moving it in our out of position easy. I also added fold out handles on the sides as the molded in handles are difficult to grasp and are not in a position to balance well. These two octagenarians find it easy to mount and dismount on our RT-210P without extra assistance or equipment.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Great ideas Johnny. If you can, post some photos of the handles and caster setup. Those modifications will help other Stowaway users I'm sure.