Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Black/GreyWater Tank Mods

I got out of work early today so I finally got around to some mods to our combined black/grey water tank. The level monitor has never been very reliable so I installed some Holst Miracle Probes. I also installed a Camco tank flush nozzle. Finally, I made a sewer hose storage tube out of some 4x4 and 5x5 vinyl deck post covers, (actually I did this last weekend, but had to remove it to the other two mods).
The Horst probes have a plastic hood over a long probe that is supposed to stop TP from hanging up on and obstructing the probe.

Drilled 3/8 hole next to each of the existing probes.

Probe inserted and nut tightened nut to compress rubber seal.

Swapped wires from old probes to new.

Next the tank flush nozzle

Drilled 1-1/4 hole for nozzle.

Installed in hole with silicone caulk and stainless self tapping screws and attached the hose.

Reinstalled sewer hose carrier and attached other end of flush hose to the side. The hose carrier is made with a 4 ft length of 4x4 vinyl deck post cover with an 8in long section of 5x5 at one end to for the hose end which is too big for the 4x4 tube. I also used two pieces of 5x5 tube as hangers for the whole assembly.

I still need to fill the tank with water and check for leaks.
Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0654.JPG (316.3 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0662.JPG (183.0 KB, 1338 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0664.JPG (149.1 KB, 1339 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0666.JPG (165.7 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0669.JPG (277.2 KB, 1339 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0670.JPG (196.7 KB, 1338 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0675.JPG (155.1 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0676.JPG (227.3 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0677.JPG (307.2 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0680.JPG (197.7 KB, 1340 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Black/GreyWater Tank Mods

Nice mods Randy. I had a tank flusher connection on a Class C and used it. It is a lot easier that filling the waste tanks from inside the RV to flush plus it shoots water in there under pressure.

Did the sewer carrier affect your ground clearance much? I like your idea of using the larger piece to hold the end fitting. That is often a problem with hose carrier units. I've had to file down fittings to make them fit and it limits the choices in fittings that you can make.

I'm going to add one or two pipe type or tube type carriers underneath on my van. Hopefully one will carry a rolled up outdoor mat. I had not thought of using vinyl deck post covers as carrier units. Good idea.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Good idea to use bungee cords and eyelet screws (?) to secure the cap and keep it from going awol if it does work loose. I may use that method on the rear bumper of the trailer. Apparently sewer hoses like to go walkabout when the end caps fall off (fairly common) on travel trailers.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The sewer carrier hangs a little lower then the tank but is still slightly higher than the rear axle so ground clearance shouldn't be a problem. We give it all a good test next month. We're headed back up to Mt. Katahdin on May 17. We'll be boondocking at Abol Bridge Campground on the Golden Road just outside Baxter State Park (Baxter is tents only). The Golden Road is dirt all the way in from Millinocket and is usually pretty rough with major potholes.
Randy
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote