Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Chevy brakes

Because of the known Chevy brake pulsation on long downgrades problems, a couple of years ago we replaced the OEM brake pads and front rotors with Hawk Performance LTS semi metallic pads and Quiet Slot rotors. They didn't make rear rotors that fit at that time. We have been very happy with the change, seeing lower pedal effort, more consistency as they warm up, no fade, no pulsation, very quiet. Their rotors are a very interesting design that really makes sense. They also look more substantial than the OEM ones.

I was looking up the part numbers on the Hawk site for a Yahoo group member and found out that Hawk now also makes a rear rotor for the Chevies.

Anyone who is looking to upgrade their braking on a Chevy may want to take a look at the Hawk stuff, especially now that you can get the entire setup. From what I have seen it is very, very good, and probably better than most of the more famous names like Brembo.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chevy brakes

Great! Can you post the part numbers please? Can you also post a link to where these can be purchased?

Thanks, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill
Great! Can you post the part numbers please? Can you also post a link to where these can be purchased?

Thanks, Dick
Hi Dick,

Here is a link to the website for Hawk.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/

Information on the parts is pretty well laid out and explained, but the parts finder is not right for the Chevy vans. Depending on how you use it, it may only list rear rotors, only fronts, maybe pads.

The PDF catalog appears to be correct, based on what they told me when I called them, but it does show some different year coverage in vans, eliminating 2009/2010 on some models. A call to them might be in order to confirm for those years.

Here is a link to the download section of the site where you can the PDF catalog.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/downloads

I think your part numbers will be the same as ours. The exception would be if you have the different rotor height in the rear, which they told me is much less common and probably for the full floater.

Front rotors HUS8659

Rear rotors HUS8691

Front pads HB322Y.717 The Y is the compound code for the LTS pads

Rear pads HB494Y.670 The Y is the compound code for the LTS pads

They also now list a kit for each end that includes the rotors and pads. I don't know if this is a cheaper way to go or not.

Front kit HKY8659322

Rear kit HKY8691494

When I bought ours, I just searched the part numbers with Google to find the best price and availability. The prices seem to be very consistent between vendors, all below MSRP, with the shipping being the determining factor, and maybe a coupon sale code. Free shipping is pretty common, and makes a big difference on heavy stuff like this. The rear rotors that I just ordered are coming from Amazon, as they were the same price, free delivery, and it saved giving the credit card number out to another vendor. They already shipped and should be here next week.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Well, the rotors showed up today, major bummer. Hawk listed two rotor size widths 76mm and 90 mm. Measuring on the van before I ordered, the width looked to be a bit under 90mm, but no where near the 76mm. I called Hawk and they said those were the only two options for the van, so it had to be the 90mm. The rotors from the van measured 86mm (?) width when I took them off, which is not any of the options said to be available. The Hawk rotor measured 91mm. It looked like they might still fit well enough to work. They went on OK, but the hub hole was about 5mm too big.

I just got done looking at a bunch of other sources and brands of rotors, including AC Delco. Everything I found said there were two rotor sizes, like Hawk said, but that the widths are 86mm and 91mm. A couple places also showed that the 91mm rotor had a bigger hub hole (127mm vs 122mm IIRC). They must be for the full floater.

So, it looks like there is a misprint in the Hawk catalog and it should give the two options as 86mm and 91mm, not 76mm and 90mm. If I had known they were that close together, and seeing what looked to be under 90mm, I would have pulled one off to measure before ordering.

I don't know if the towing package for Roadtreks included the full floater, or not, but it appears most Roadtreks won't have a rear rotor available after all.

Now I have to dig up some boxes, as the ones they came in were totally trashed in shipping, so they can go back.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That sucks. Thanks for posting the info - it will help anyone else looking to replace the rotors.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote