Old 09-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

Default thanks!

You are the first mention of a compressor-based bag system for the 3500 Express that I have seen. It sounds like exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks much for sharing.

J__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
Costs

1 ea. 1998-2012 Chevrolet G-3500 Class "C" - "Load Lifter 5000 ULTIMATE" Air Springs w/ Jounce [REAR] $335.08
What part number did you use? Based on a search, it sounds like you used 88245.

When I search the airlift site, I find that 88205 fits the Express 3500.

Maybe that's why you had to weld the bracket?

I'm trying to get up the nerve to try this install myself as the shop I checked in Boulder wants a fortune to install them.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
What part number did you use? Based on a search, it sounds like you used 88245.

When I search the airlift site, I find that 88205 fits the Express 3500.

Maybe that's why you had to weld the bracket?

I'm trying to get up the nerve to try this install myself as the shop I checked in Boulder wants a fortune to install them.

Airlift has had a bit of confusion in their specs when we tried to use their part finder. For a long time they listed the 88245 for the "cargo van" and the 88205 for the "passenger van". The vans are different in the rear frame rails which are C channel for the 88245 and box frame for the 88205. We all think that Roadtreks are cargo vans that are converted, but the frames are boxed, so the 88205 is the correct part number for them, which is how Airlift now lists them for all 3500 full body vans. They now show the 88245 for the cutaways with the C channel frames.

There have been lots of people get the C channel ones by mistake and have to alter things a bit to get the mounts to fit.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Chevy Roadtrek suspension upgrade post

Some time ago there were quite a few posts on suspension modifications to gain better ground clearance for Chevy based Roadtreks. I think there were concerns expressed by some customers about taller front coil springs available aftermarket developing a lateral bowing out in the middle of the spring height.
Please keep us informed if this issue materializes over time with the recent suspension modification. Thanks for the detailed measurements. Every Chevy Roadtrek I have looked at has shown at least some evidence of ground clearance damage underneath. Same with Airstream Avenues by the way on Chevy chassis.
BJ 2004 & 2013 Roadtrek 190 Populars
Drjones7788@gmail.com
443 480 1023
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Platinum Member

The springs that had bowing issues were test ones that were made at lower springrate and longer freelength than the Moog 81004 or some of the other stock length springs. Our early Tufftruck springs are essentially the same as the 81004 and have been in for something like 7 years without issue.

I don't think anyone has had bowing issues with the stock length and 1.03 or 1.06" diameter wire, which are what essentially everyone has, except for a few Erb springs that are 1" wire and about 1/4" longer than stock.

The 81004, Airlift, Bilstein combination is catching on and given very good results for quite a few people now.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
Bronze Member

I have an on board compressor, tank, rear bumper mounted air supply quick connect and set of "train" horns, towing various fairly heavy for the Roadtrek tow rating toy hauler trailers coast to coast. Any suggestions on tapping existing compressed air supply to handle the Airlifts. I assume the existing compressor puts out about 100-120 psi and I would tap the air line to install a variable pressure regulator to control the Airlifts. Any othe thoughts would be welcome. BJ
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #17
Platinum Member

All you really need to do is tap in to the air supply after the tank and run the line to one of the Airlift controllers or fill/relieve valves, and then to the airbags. We have a twin paddle switch manual controller in the driver side storage right at the rear and it works well.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
Gold Member

Sorry I don’t have the part number available. The bracket furnished required access from above which is not possible with a box frame.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #19
Gold Member

I would contact AirLift. What I installed was a complete kit with the manifold and compressor together. I don’t know if that manifold could be used with a different compressor.

The manifold does provide power to the compressor. It powers it up when it needs air and then switches it off when it does not. I am not sure how you would get power to the compressor when you needed it for other uses. There may not be a adjustable pressure regulator in the manifold, it would be much cheaper to simply turn the compressor on when you needed more air and then switch it off when you got to your target pressure.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #20
Gold Member

I just returned from a long trip.

LA
Williams, AZ
Grand Canyon South Rim
Marble Canyon (Page AZ area)
North Rim area
Las Vegas
LA

I spent lot of time on Forest Service dirt roads. These were in good shape for dirt roads, but they did have their rough spots. I got no scraping at all. Not even once.

Crosswinds were substantial on the Las Vegas to LA segment. Wind stability is substantially improved. Before the steering was quite squirrelly and very hard to control in wind. No more. A solid crosswind still pushes the van and you need to correct but the van feels very controllable the whole time.

Sharp bumps such was washboard roads or railroad tracks are still quite harsh. I was jealous of some pickups I saw flying along. But other than that all major areas are substantially improved.

Very satisfied with this upgrade, it did great.