Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default "Clever" retasking of non RV items? for mod or build.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone had come up with, or found any products that adapt nicely to an RV as a mod or in a DIY conversion.

For instance, a thing I have in mind, is that Walmart often puts complete futons on sale for around $100, folding frame and pad/seat cushion. Since I found out that a bed sized piece of foam custom cut runs to as much as $200, before you make a cover for it or anything, I began thinking that maybe if I wanted a "gaucho" in my van, I'd use at least the pad, maybe some of the mechanism and frame off a Walmart futon.

Also, thinking in cheapskate mode, I've got a Koolatron 12V powered cooler I picked up used for cheap, I'm pondering whether I want to buy an RV fridge, or adapt that to a permanent fixture... (Though I might well build it into a cabinet that's big enough to fit a "real" fridge, for when I feel richer)

I'm also kind of on the lookout for "premium" as it were, plastic storage drawer units. They seem light, compared to built up storage, but the low price ones seem kind of flimsy, at least, loaded up with kitchen utensils and rattled round for a few hours at a time, they might crack up easy. So just wondering if anyone has found high quality editions, at double or so the price of the others, it would still be a cheap and easy way to add storage for an RV.

What else has anyone discovered or thought of using?

Flashman.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: "Clever" retasking of non RV items? for mod or build.

Bump up. Any ideas?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Anu

I noticed from your other posts that you plan to convert a van.

Did you check craigslist and local building recyclers for shelves, pantry cabinets, counter tops etc that can be re-purposed ?
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Actually, I've been doing a small ktichen reno at home and have been finding that decent units for the intended purpose are hard to find, also they have a lot of particle board in them making them rather heavy.

Used to be that you could find premade pine panels and doors off the shelf, for making cupboards and closets, not any more, it's all made to order custom now, no pre-fab bits available anywhere here...

There's not even the range of flat pack furniture available that there used to be... I'm finding myself shocked and pissed off looking for stuff for the house...

IKEA might be worth looking at, there's not one near enough me here though. Looking like best/only option is custom fit plywood over pine framing.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote