Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Convert across the rear bed to two twin beds

Converting the across the rear bed to two twin beds is something I'd like to do. It was one of the thoughts I had when I saw the van for the first time. When I got it home I realized it would be a HUGE job because of the location of the black tank under the van and the associated plumbing on one side and the kitchen on the other side.

I have a new idea of how to make this happen without moving the kitchen or the bathroom......... no, it's not "buy a new van"

The idea is:

Passenger side: cut a large opening in the bathroom wall, use the cut piece as a door that is hinged at the bottom and supported so that it is level with the base of the bed on that side of the van when open. It would have an add-on cushion to extend the bed. The feet of the person sleeping in that bed would extend into the bathroom. I'd frame and have a latch on the opening so that the bathroom is not compromised during the day.

Drivers side: cut an opening in the kitchen bulkhead and extend the base of the bed under the kitchen counter. There are two drawers there and I'd lose one for sure, maybe both. I might have to raise the stovetop a bit. This would not affect the under counter sliding drawers I previously installed: ( http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =12&t=2894 ). The feet of the person sleeping in that bed would extend under the counter.

I measured things today and figure I could get 72" on the drivers side and as long as I want on the passenger side.

We gained a super comfy bed when we redid the cushions ( http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =12&t=2574 ) but we pretty much lost that area to any use other than sleeping because the cushions are too bulky and difficult to move around often. We leave it set up as a bed. I have lots of that material leftover if needed.

Kind of an odd idea but two twin beds would be really great and re-gaining the bench seating and rear dinette etc. would be a real bonus.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Convert across the rear bed to two twin beds

Having rented a X-ways unit in Ireland...I knew that I didn;t want to do that again- bed too short and the climb-over at night to use the head was a real bummer.

a prime mover to getting a B ( we had been tent camping) was the ease of using the can in the middle of the night- at an age where one or both of us usually gets up in the middle of the night.

Is that a concern for whoever does have their feet in the bog? or the person who needs to use the loo and has to wake the other?

2.) what is your current length on the crosswise?

My bed is 75" if I go straight, I can go a little diagonal to get my feet over the aisle and get to about 78"

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Good points.

The cushions total 71" x 51" now - small bed I know. My feet touch the sidewall. I use it to push myself back up I have to use a small camping pillow for my head.
My wife will get up at least once per night guaranteed so she'd get that bed. With across the rear sleeping, she wakes up if I get up as I have to crawl over her to get out of the bed.

It's so cold up here now that the memory foam feels like concrete. I'll have to warm the van up before testing this idea further so as not to risk breaking off a chunk of foam.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Lou
Platinum Member

At night we set up our Pleasureway in the semi twin layout. After awhile my husband decided that he wasn't quite comfortable but we didn't want to give up the ease of being able step out of the bed easily.
As you probably know, there is an extra board that can sit on ledges attached to the edge of the ottomans. You put the two back cushions from the ottomans across there and you have a king size bed.
My husband cut a piece of wood big enough to hold only of one of those back cushions. He attached two legs (2x3 cedar) on one side of the wood and holes for metal pins in the other side of the wood plus two holes in the ledge.
The pins protrude beyond the ledge holes so they are easy to push out. The ottoman back cushions have long velcro straps to hold them in place as back rests so we glued and screwed a piece of velcro to the bottom of the shelf/table he built. That way the velcro strap on the cushion wraps around and attaches underneath. It is a small piece of velcro under the board so that there is a loose piece of strap to grab and rip off.
In the morning, he detaches the velcro and the two pins, lifts the cushion lid of the ottoman (wheel well storage), we put our sleeping bags in it and the 2 legged shelf sits on top with the legs pointing down. We put the cushion lid and cushion backrest back together as a seat. It only takes an extra couple of seconds to put away as we already have to store the sleeping bags and the backrest cushions have to be moved for sleeping and put back in the morning.
He made two extra holes (inside wheel well compartment) to store the pins during the day so they don't get jostled by the sleeping bags.
He noticed that the factory made board that goes all the way across doesn't cover the entire length of the backrest cushions and because the backrest cushions have plywood at the back (covered with upholstery) he realized that the table/shelf he built didn't have to be as long as the cushion. He built it shorter so that it would fit into the ottoman/wheel well storage space.
My husband now sleeps at a slight angle on the bed and with the extra cushion he has a more comfortable place to put his feet.
I know that you don't have the same layout as our van but I thought I would mention this as perhaps you could have some kind of pull out shelf so you don't have to cut into the walls on both sides.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks - that gives me something try. Maybe a V berth type arrangement in our van.