Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Default Crack in Fiberglass Roof

I recently purchased a 1999 Pleasure-Way and there's a crack in the fiberglass top. What would be a relatively quick and easy way to fix it to prevent leaking or getting worse? Would Dicor Lap Sealant be a good thing to use?
kpdfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Last time I checked, Dicor was not specifically recommended for painted or gel coat surfaces. However, I've used it on both without any problems and adhesion seems very good. I like it because it is fairly easy to remove if that ever becomes necessary.

A urethane based caulk would likely be a recommended product for those surfaces. I'd avoid using a silicone based product.

An actual crack through the glass fibers would be a greater issue though. It would require a more structural type repair to stop it spreading and restore strength to the area.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Do you have a Marine Repair anywhere nearby? I say this because they work on repairing fiberglass boat hulls all the time. Something like a crack in the roof - I wouldn't try a home type repair...water gets in you loose the whole cushioned overhead. From my viewpoint it is a pay me now or pay later situation. Ron
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I agree, it depends on if it is a gelcoat crack or a structural crack. If it is cracked through or mostly through, it is a good idea to try to determine why. Did it take a hit, or is it a stress crack, for instance. If it took a hit, getting it back to original strength is fine, if it is stress caused, it should be made stronger. Gelcoat cracks can be filled with waterproof body filler or caulking as it is really only cosmetic and moisture you are dealing with.

Structural repairs would require using resin and mat after grinding away a the damage and is a big job, and needs painting afterward. Boat repair places tend to be the easiest to find to do the repairs in most cases.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdfla View Post
I recently purchased a 1999 Pleasure-Way and there's a crack in the fiberglass top. What would be a relatively quick and easy way to fix it to prevent leaking or getting worse? Would Dicor Lap Sealant be a good thing to use?
Where exactly is the crack?

Do you have a picture?

If it is on the top, out of sight, and it is not a structural, you can simply seal it up.

If the crack is between the roof and the body, or a vent, then it might require more work.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I'll need to take a better look at it to see how deep or involved it is. The RV is at the auto dealer's now getting a tune-up, oil change, etc., but I'll try to post a picture later when I get it back (it is on top, out of sight).

I'll also check to see if there are marine repair facilities around... there should be with all the lakes in the area.

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Is it a crack that leaks water?

or a surface crack of the gelcoat?

Gelcoat can shrink with age. It can show up as spider cracks on the surface.
It is cosmetic, it does not leak water.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #8

Okay, it's back now and I've got a picture. Stress crack? There appears to be another smaller one starting on the opposite side too. They're near the roof air conditioner. It looks like someone has put something along a portion of this. It doesn't cover the entire crack, so maybe they put something on and possibly the crack has spread since then. There are some stress cracks elsewhere (not on the roof) - can't remember just where, I think a few places, but one of the RV guys mentioned it when I stopped by to make an appointment to have the generator checked. Here's the image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw_crack.jpg (978.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

It looks like surface crack to me.

I can't visualize the location of this crack.
Is this the inside of the roof?

Do you have a zoomed out picture?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Coming out of a corner (stress riser) usually will indicate a stress crack, plus it looks more open than a gel coat crack. The matching one on a symmetrical side would also reinforce that it is stress related. Best to find any and all of them before going to see about fixing anything, as it will be a lot easier that way.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Coming out of a corner (stress riser) usually will indicate a stress crack, plus it looks more open than a gel coat crack. The matching one on a symmetrical side would also reinforce that it is stress related. Best to find any and all of them before going to see about fixing anything, as it will be a lot easier that way.
Thank you very much. Yikes! I probably have my hands full with this purchase.

Is it necessary to go to a shop that specializes in RV's, or is a regular body shop okay to go to? Or a marine repair place as suggested earlier? Last week I went to a body shop nearby to see if they could repair the battery compartment, but the owner referred me to an RV body shop in another town (if I recall correctly, the owner indicated his bay isn't big enough for an RV). After reading reviews of the place he referred me to, I don't want to go there.

Are stress cracks common?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Any auto body shop can fix/patch the fibreglass for you.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Where exactly is the crack?

Do you have a picture?

If it is on the top, out of sight, and it is not a structural, you can simply seal it up.

If the crack is between the roof and the body, or a vent, then it might require more work.

Thanks! Was having trouble trying to post but I think it's cleared up now. I went out and took another picture, plus will include a full side view from when it was on the car lot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw_crack3.jpg (1.54 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg pw_sideview.jpg (122.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #14

Quote:

Is it a crack that leaks water?

or a surface crack of the gelcoat?

Gelcoat can shrink with age. It can show up as spider cracks on the surface.
It is cosmetic, it does not leak water.
Thank you. I don't think it's leaking water yet, there's no evidence that I can find inside. There's only evidence of an old leak around the refrigerator (or from sink?) and I know the refrigerator was replaced.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:

It looks like surface crack to me.

I can't visualize the location of this crack.
Is this the inside of the roof?

Do you have a zoomed out picture?
Thank you. I ended up attaching a zoomed out photo in a following thread after I had trouble posting and had to log out then back in. It's hard to see the crack on the zoomed out image, but it should give a reference point based on the close-up picture.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Any auto body shop can fix/patch the fibreglass for you.
Thanks, that's great. I'll check body shops and/or marine repair places to have it fixed. I sure don't want to risk any leaks inside.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you very much. Yikes! I probably have my hands full with this purchase.

Is it necessary to go to a shop that specializes in RV's, or is a regular body shop okay to go to? Or a marine repair place as suggested earlier? Last week I went to a body shop nearby to see if they could repair the battery compartment, but the owner referred me to an RV body shop in another town (if I recall correctly, the owner indicated his bay isn't big enough for an RV). After reading reviews of the place he referred me to, I don't want to go there.

Are stress cracks common?
When I had to get our Roadtrek roof fixed for a couple of cracks, as well as the drop floor, the body shops scared me to death with their lack of fiberglass knowledge. The marine repair shops were knowledgeable, as was a body shop that specialized in Corvettes. I wouldn't trust a run of the mill body shop myself.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's great. I'll check body shops and/or marine repair places to have it fixed. I sure don't want to risk any leaks inside.
That looks like a classic gelcoat stress crack. Find yourself a bottle of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It's available on Amazon and in most marine supply stores:

Clean the area up with acetone, and run layers of Captain Tolley's in the crack until it's level. It may take several applications.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
When I had to get our Roadtrek roof fixed for a couple of cracks, as well as the drop floor, the body shops scared me to death with their lack of fiberglass knowledge. The marine repair shops were knowledgeable, as was a body shop that specialized in Corvettes. I wouldn't trust a run of the mill body shop myself.
Thank you, I appreciate your sharing. Marine repair does sound like the way to go for fiberglass.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
That looks like a classic gelcoat stress crack. Find yourself a bottle of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It's available on Amazon and in most marine supply stores:

Clean the area up with acetone, and run layers of Captain Tolley's in the crack until it's level. It may take several applications.
Thank you very much! That sounds worth a try and good stuff to have on hand anyway. I just ordered an 8 oz. bottle, which will arrive tomorrow. There may be more rain this week and I might not be able to get the RV to a marine repair shop right away.