Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Default Dash board mount table ??

My 2008 sprinter LT freespirit 210B has been modified to a sports gear hauler with a raised bed at counter height hence we have no sofa or table anymore. It only took one trip with the sofa to decide it had to go..now we sleep on a 8" Tempurpedic and have huge storage space under it which holds a garage full of assorted gear.

Most of the time this is not a problem as we have a popup screen tent (clamshell) we through up over a picnic table in a few seconds but the there are time when it would be nice to have a smaller ( big enough for crib board and a couple of wine glasses) dash mounted table for those times when this is not possible (Walmart lots etc) I don't want a floor mount as getting in and out of the seats would be nearly impossible. I will likely design my own but always open to ideas of others..Has anyone built such a beast that would be fairly compact when stored, yet solid enough in use that a bump would not result in spilled drinks?
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Have you seen Lagun mount, I don't know if it can work for you, but it is an idea. http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...able-7407.html
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Looks interesting but I really have nowhere to mount the base other than the base of the passenger seat which would interfere with the swivel function. I was thinking more about something that would mount higher close to the dash center so we could easily get in and out of the front seats which would be turned to the center
Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #4

Windrat - I have been struggling with this as well. Frankly I had put it on the back burner until I had a thought while reading this thread. It struck me the motion required is like a airline table that folds and drops into the arm rest. So I googled, found a place on Ebay that sells parts from retired planes and bought a table assy from a 737 for $75. When I get it next week, I'll consider the mounting options. We have swivels as well. Seat, door, and possibly something up front. I'll post some pictures as I go and will certainly be looking for input
feynmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Default sounds good

i will have to take a look at that option ...mounting locations is the tough one

I am considering a dash mount supported from the overhead trays with a solid rod in order to keep the under table area clear and allow access to the seats with the table in place. the table would be wider at the front and well above knee height

Will be interested to see what you come up with.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Somewhat confused

So it appears that you're looking for a solution both for when you're traveling (spilling drinks over bumps) and while at a campsite? I agree that there's little legroom when camping and the seats are swiveled. Probably less in my 97 PW than in yours. Have you looked into a cooler between seats while you're traveling? Some that plug into the 12v "cig" lighter could provide both cooling for drinks/sandwiches while in route and a place to set them. Wouldn't work easily at a site, though. My 97 still has the engine hump and a tray above. That can be easily extended to provide room for a tray. I have some folding cup holders on the doors that give additional beverage storage.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

The table would not be in place when driving.. too many controls would be under it

storeage options would be behind drivers seat or inside the bathroom door
Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Good thread. The 737 table idea is divine, but it doesn't directly address the issue of stuff sliding off while the van is underway.

How about this: for non-motorized watercraft such as kayaks, they make little removable "platforms" meant to hold fishing tackle and whatnot (aka "bait boards"). I've seen them but not investigated them for this application (I just bought a hard-body kayak about 2 weeks ago, so I'm now getting exposed to a whole new world of consumer products).

I'm thinking maybe something along these lines below, mounted low so that it doesn't interfere with the dash controls or viewing. I have a T1N Sprinter, so I have a couple of semi-useless cup holders mounted in the center console but almost on the floor of the cab (hard to reach). If I could create an adapter for a little platform like this and use a cup holder as a temporary socket, I could raise stuff up to a better access height. Then pull the thing out and stow it when not in use.

This one is called a Scotty 455 Bait Board. There are others on the market.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #9

https://youtu.be/xyUhxvP5kR4

I don't know who made this table or who the person in the video is.

I found this on you tube while searching the subject of adding a table to my MB Sprinter RV.
RickBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:46 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBurch View Post
https://youtu.be/xyUhxvP5kR4

I don't know who made this table or who the person in the video is.

I found this on you tube while searching the subject of adding a table to my MB Sprinter RV.
Pure Genius!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Follow-up to this thread...

I decided that the bait board idea that I was entertaining originally was a non-starter for a variety of reasons. I actually settled on a DIY armrest caddy because I want to be able to use it while driving (I do cross-continent solo trips).

The T1N Sprinter offers an advantage in having relatively stiff armrests with flat upper surfaces. This little guy is made of high-grade plywood trimmed in 3/4" aluminum L-stock, and simply held on with three strips of 3/4" Velcro (the two forward strips penetrate the plywood and the one on the "outrigger" simply wraps around the butt end of the armrest). On top of those Velcro strips, added a closed-cell foam pad.

After this pic was taken, I splurged on a brushed stainless steel cup holder insert from West Marine to replace the plastic, so it looks a bit spiffier now.

I can move the items and raise the armrest with this caddy still in place, and walk to the back of the van without having to remove it from the armrest.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #12

I just bought a 97 Pleasure Way STW this summer and was also looking for ways of creating a dining area in the front cab area . My criteria was
(a) large enough to be functional for two people dining
(b) small enough that we could maneuver around from a sitting and standing position
(c) small enough to store behind driver's seat ( no more than 3" thick)
(d) sturdy enough to handle partial body weight ( us older folk need all the help we can get)
(e) stable enough that a jostle would not upset the meal
(f) would no block ac / heat vents
(g) Easy To Install

Dimensions 29" wide (side to side ) ; 18.5" deep (front to back) ; 2.75" thick ; Installed height from floor to top of table 24" ; Height from seat to table top 10"

gowason@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Additional cab table ideas in this thread (focusing on Sprinter vans, but some ideas are universal).