Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Different projects / purchases working together

I love how things sometimes all end up as part of a bigger picture even though they were unrelated at the start.

Air bags need air, bikes need air, compressors need power ..........

Bikes on sliding cargo box:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post28607

&

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post37060

Trailer wiring, 12V, 30A 4-way flat, 4-way round, 5-way flat, 6-way round with pins and 7-way round blade style:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post35696

Air Lift springs added to rear suspension:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post39332

12V compressor:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post14302

That little compressor worked great on the air lift bags today. My van has 30A, 12V DC available right there. It makes it easy to add air to the air lift bags or the bikes on the cargo box. The little clamp on air chuck doesn't leak. Going from 50 psi to 60 psi just takes seconds as the volume of air needed is so small. The gauge seems accurate too.

12v adapter into 6 way outlet.JPG

12v compressor air lift bags.JPG

no leaks and gauge seems accurate.JPG

all stores in compressor bag.JPG

stored away.JPG

The little compressor is likely not the most robust. The key things with these is to supply adequate voltage even under load to keep the amps down and to not run them for long. They can't be allowed to overheat as the there are a lot of plastic internal parts that will fail if they get too hot.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I meant to mention this in the post above even though these will be newly acquired items.

Topeak® Cycling Accessories — Products - Pressure-Rite Schrader Valve Adapter

pressure_rite_schrader.jpg

Quote:
Pressure-Rite Schrader Valve Adapter

Internal check valve isolates pump from shock ensuring accurate pressure during removal. Compact design is ideal for rear shock or small wheels with hard to reach valves.
Just waiting for it to arrive from Amazon.

When I check the air lift bag pressure with a handheld gauge or remove the clamp on chuck of the portable compressor from the air lift bag valve a little bit of air is lost. A little bit of air can be a few PSI on these air bags. The Pressure Rite adapter should let me air up to a particular gauge reading and then disconnect without losing any air.

That should be great for adding air to the bike tires also.

I almost bought Topeak's Shuttle Gauge - Topeak® Cycling Accessories — Products - Shuttle™ Gauge - but the scale of the gauge makes it difficult to see say 62 PSI or 56 PSI for example.

I have another inexpensive item from Amazon on it's way.

deflator.jpg

It's a screw on deflator. The approach with this will be to add more air than needed then bleed off to the exact PSI you want. The amount of air loss when removing this device will determine if it is useful for air lift bags.

I have an idea of marrying the two devices and "T"-ing in a Schrader fill valve to make my own easier to read Shuttle type device.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When I added the inside the spring bags to my old Roadmaster wagon, I used on of these.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/26161/

It has the built in gauge and a paddle switch that connects to source of air and exhaust, so you can fill or bleed from the switch. It is full shut off in the center.

I plumbed the source air to a Shrader valve that I mounted on the same panel. Outlet to the bags.

It is very easy to use as there is never any of the air loss that Marko mentions. You put the air hose onto the valve, and nothing happens until you move the switch to the fill side, allowing air to the bag and showing on the gauge. When you release the switch, the bags are isolated, so when you remove the air hose, no loss of bag air. If you get them too full, you can bleed off some with or without the air hose on.

It makes it very convenient, as you can also just look in and see if the bags have held air and are still where you want them.

We have the double switch, two pressure gauge version in the van so we can set sides individually.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That would be convenient.

Do you think it would it be suitable for exterior mounting?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That would be convenient.

Do you think it would it be suitable for exterior mounting?
My guess would be yes, as all their other stuff, except cab mount electronic control, seem to be made to be outside. A call to them would probably be in order to make sure, though.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The Pressure-Rite adapter showed up today.

Pressure Rite adapter.JPG

It's to the left in the photo. First thing you'll notice is no valve on the fill from end. I already have a very short valve extender (middle of photo). That should allow use of the Pressure-Rite adapter with any service station air. The adapter to the right is a Schrader valve thread to 1/8th NPT adapter that I already have.

So I have some options with this and will post on how well it works or not after I've used it. The "anti-air loss" feature is why I bought it. The bike tires will definitely need air so that will be a good test.