Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default DIY cab window screen

I bought some fine mesh screen meant for a patio door and cut it to fit the passenger side front window on my van. I fitted adhesive Velcro brand loop strip around the window opening. My wife sewed the hook strip to the window screen material. (soft loop strip around the frame, bristly hook strip sewn to screen)

So far the adhesive is sticking to the trim. If it lets go there is a tube of Velcro brand primer or adhesive or such available for purchase that you paint onto the surface and let dry to help the adhesive on the strip stick.

I have plenty of screen left over for the drivers side window but I ran out of Velcro for the project.

I can leave the passenger window open a bit now without letting bugs in. I don't have to worry about rain because I previously installed AVS Ventvisors on the van. Link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2394
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevy bug screen.JPG (94.3 KB, 593 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: DIY cab window screen

We seen this approach on a 4x4 roadtrek this summer. I talked to the guy inside the rig and he gave me the impression that they never took the screens off very often. They fit tight to the opening and looked nice, he did say they were kind of a pain to get lined up just right. I am not much on sticking things to the interior of my rigs and even hesitate to drill holes for switches and such, but I will if I really have to. Good luck with the mods marko.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Old topic revisited.......

Our DIY screen ended up being permanent. Obviously it works great keeping bugs out.

The biggest issues are: the person in the passenger can't take photos with the screen in the way and it can make it harder to see the view in the mirror on that side in some lighting conditions.

We'll keep it to use when setup long enough in one place but will try another approach for bug free and secure ventilation in the cab area. I saw this 3.5"x5"x6" x 4' piece of gutter filler in Home Depot.

screen idea.JPG

The idea is to carve it down to an approx 2" sq x 3 ft long strip to use as a screen filler where the side windows meet the door frame. It will be hidden by the Ventvisors.

We've found that you can just about eliminate condensation on the inside of the windshield if you make sure to have some ventilation up front.

Storage and use of these strips may prove to be a hassle so I'll post again about them once done and I get a chance to use them.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That's a nifty idea.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
Bronze Member

The Foam Factory, Open Cell Foam, Speaker Foam, Filter Foam
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote