Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do It Your Self Window Screens

I saw this 6 minute DIY window screen on YouTube. Even I can do this.

What a great idea.....

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting, very nice. If you're going to this, you can make a simple template easily for near perfect cutting.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't think this is the exact gutter guard he used but would probably work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...FQWZAQodtYoPRw
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:12 AM   #4
Platinum Member

These are the front window screens I got. Not as cheap as do-it-yourself, but $95 a pair for nice, quality workmanship, and you can roll down the entire window for more air flow. They are two-sided pouch that drops down over the top of the door (no snaps, velcro, magnets needed).

Satisfied Customers

I also got some of his TiltSkreenz for my Chevy based flip-out windows. Double the cost of the front window covers for one, so these start to get pricey. But they are more complicated to make with gussets to allow the windows to open out and magnets to attach them.

Skreenz Products

The pics are of my actual van (I gave him permission to use on his site). And no, I have no affiliation with the maker, nor receive any promotion fees or discounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6330.JPG (545.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6332.JPG (551.6 KB, 18 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I measured, then bought fabric screening from the hardware store. Made templates for the windows, cut them out, sewed magnets on them and I was done. Work great and super cheap. Only drawback is if there's a strong wind, it might blow the screen out. I could sew more magnets on them to fix that, but it doesn't happen often.

I used this because some of my windows are the push out kind that the above screens wouldn't work on. They also roll up nice and small so don't take much room.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
I used this because some of my windows are the push out kind that the above screens wouldn't work on.
But they do work on push-out windows. The gusseted models accommodate this and the side-hinged cargo door and top-hinged "escape" window versions are shown in my pictures (above). As I stated, though, they are pricey at $98 each at Skreenz.com.

I just ordered 2 more for the rear cargo door pop-outs. Now I have a complete window set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8260.JPG (505.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
But they do work on push-out windows. The gusseted models accommodate this and the side-hinged cargo door and top-hinged "escape" window versions are shown in my pictures (above). As I stated, though, they are pricey at $98 each at Skreenz.com.
These are a simple project for anyone with basic sewing skills. My dear wife made us a complete set, front windows and rear push-outs, for hardly more than the cost of material...far less than $98!

The front window set is "pockets" of no-seeum mesh that slide over the window frames. The rubber door gasket seals out any buggy invaders, with magnets used to "seal" the outside bottom. There are slits to accommodate the mirrors, which close tightly with velcro. With this you can leave the windows open at your preferred level - if your windows have frames, of course. BTW: The fine mesh also adds a bit of privacy from outsiders.

The rear set is held in place by magnets as there is no frame. Essentially it is a single piece of mesh with enough slack to allow these vent windows to push open an inch - which is fine for ventilation. While not sealed like the front, we've had no problems with visitors. We will run a fan to move the air when needed.

Another virtue is that these fold up to nearly nothing for storage. We keep them in the front door pockets, along with the magnets. One bit of warning - don't get superstrength magnets...you don't need them, and it is likely you'll damage the vehicle paint finish with them.

I don't have any pics...sorry.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

These are great ideas for windows. Any suggestions for a screen for the sliding side door on a Trek? Would like to keep the bugs out but have the door open with ability to come and go through it.
Jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
These are great ideas for windows. Any suggestions for a screen for the sliding side door on a Trek? Would like to keep the bugs out but have the door open with ability to come and go through it.
There are ones for sale, but they aren't cheap. I bought two pair of "Magic Mesh" magnetically closing screens (As seen on TV), but have not yet started on my attempt to fabricate my own set for under $50.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #10

Thanks. Let me know how it goes.
Jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
Thanks. Let me know how it goes.
Mmmmm. It may be a while. Too hot right now.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #12

Custom fitting Magic Screens actually works quite well... I’ve made the. For both my slider and rear doors on my high roof Promaster. Pics are available at www.vancave.wordpress.com

Ram Promaster 3500 ext Gasser DIY Camper Conversion... Q
Phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranc View Post
Custom fitting Magic Screens actually works quite well... I’ve made the. For both my slider and rear doors on my high roof Promaster. Pics are available at www.vancave.wordpress.com
Good to know, thanks for posting.

How did you attach it to the top & sides?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 AM   #14

I used the adhesive velcro that came with the screens... the adhesive has held up very well in the heat... I did reinforce the top seam with some screws near the closure due to the weight of the magnets.

Ram Promaster 3500 ext Gasser DIY Camper Conversion... Q
Phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranc View Post
I used the adhesive velcro that came with the screens... the adhesive has held up very well in the heat... I did reinforce the top seam with some screws near the closure due to the weight of the magnets.
Thanks. When the weather gets cooler I want to tackle making them into a a screen for my side door. Now I know I can prototype them with the enclosed adhesive, then add screws as necessary.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #16

I got those discounted patio door screens for 5 bucks each. Two sets actually 3 of the 2 part strips hang from push pins across my side doors. About $12 with push pins. I pin it up on the fabric over the doors. The slot with magnets works fine if hung properly. I use safety pins when needed too. A little long but I roll it up on running board. Not like I go in and out much so works fine to keep out things when I am out cooking on a camp fire leaving doors open to air out camper. Most of what I do is out. Shower, cook, toilet. But sleep in, so keeping bugs out is a good thing. I never did like to empty black tank. So have composting toilet in one of those shower tent things.
Bluecat is offline   Reply With Quote