Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dual 6v into 07 C190P Roadtrek

I'm impressed. What a project! It looks good.

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Me too. Amazing what you can do with a heated garage, an idea, and some spare time?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Hopefully, this is the end of this project, as it looks like it is pretty much done at this point.

I added silicone strain relief to the inside of the box and tied up the positive cable a bit and they seem to fold OK now.

The splash guard was already done. Just cut out of .08 ABS sheet.

And mounted with some #8 sheet metal screws, except for the bottom which I stuck on with silicone so I Wouldn't have to put screws into the battery support.

The barrel bolt latch could slip down when the tray was out, and hit paint on the way back in, so I put a magnet on it to hold the bolt up.

It does the job well.

The big batteries, in the deep tray, and my bad hands don't get along well, so we needed to carry the lift strap with us in case we needed to take out the batteries for some reason. More magnets seemed like a good idea, so I epoxied a couple to the batteries.

The strap holds on them very securely, and comes off easily.

I put the rubber strips back on with contact cement, and...

Here are the pics I have been waiting for!

Complete with the door open.

With the door closed.

And from the rear.

All and all it went pretty well, about the amount of trouble and work that I had predicted, but did take a bit longer than I thought.

I think it was easily worth the work and money to get the extra 145AH of capacity.

On a 1 to 10 scale with 1 being and oil change and 10 building a B from scratch, I would put this as about an 8. The hardest part is not skill IMO, but having all the necessary tools for so many varied steps.

I will now find out if the folks that claim running different batteries together is a horrible idea, as we now have the two GC2H batteries in parallel with two group 27 deep cycle batteries (one as a starting battery and one in the rear battery compartment). I will be monitoring the specific gravity and water levels closely to see how they react.

Now on to the rest of the stuff the van needs before spring!
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I would be surprised if there were any problems running different types and capacities, but I've been
challenged on it here, and on other forums, for a variety of what sounded to me like nonsensical reasons.
I'm not an electrical engineer, however, and accepted the critiques as gracefully as possible, but I've been
running two mixed age and make (and probably capacity) batteries for over a year and several trips without
any noticeable issues.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
Platinum Member

That is a very nice piece of work.

Well done.

Does the battery support structure reduce the ground clearance in that area (lower than the gray/black tanks)?

I have been considering replacing Roadtrek's "C" channel supports with some of the "J" channel material; then attaching some aluminum skid plates under all the delicate tanks, etc..
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
That is a very nice piece of work.

Well done.

Does the battery support structure reduce the ground clearance in that area (lower than the gray/black tanks)?

I have been considering replacing Roadtrek's "C" channel supports with some of the "J" channel material; then attaching some aluminum skid plates under all the delicate tanks, etc..
It is a bit lower than the original battery compartment was, but not lower than the the stuff around it, like the running boards. The J channel does show at the bottom of the front of the wheel well a little. I may either paint that black so it is less visible, or cut it at an angle so it wouldn't show. The angle cut wouldn't effect the strength at all.

booster is online now   Reply With Quote