Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default EXCELLENT REAR CARRIER, done

Needed to carry 450 lb. motorcycle-- didn't want to drag a trailer, so.....
First I added a one- ton tongue weight trailer hitch - about $230. from StreetsideAuto. Very fast service & good price from them. Then a Versahaul motorcycle carrier I got 2nd hand in Tucson last winter. ( $140. thank you craigslist) The bike rode ok on this, but had to strap it to the spare wheel to keep it from wobbling. I worried about the stress of the bike on the spare tire rack attached to rear door, and the rear end sagged, so....
First airbags-- Streetside again- about $250. Now van is level for first time....
The bike still rocked a bit, so a very creative person I know here in Montana designed and had fabricated two 90 degree arms that fit into ends of the hitch and each one bolts through the Versahaul rail and voila-- ABSOLUTELY rock steady. He says I could carry a Goldwing back there now...
Yes this is a total of a lotta $$$, but I am now set up to carry any bike sans trailer, or haul any trailer, since I have the heavy itch and air bags.
So, next step will be putting the bike up there-- seeing if there is any room for a little basket or rack to carry even more stuff....... gas cans maybe?
So how much weight can I haul with a 351 Ford motor on a one- ton van?
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tweaks, Mods & Projects has 2 pages

Are the front wheels still on the ground?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: EXCELLENT REAR CARRIER, done

Report. It works great. Re the front wheels........ The first time I used this rig, I seemed to be all over the road, and was kinda disappointed in the handling. Then I stopped for gas. When I got out----whooosh---- there was a wicked cross wind. THAT was causing the handling issue. So the rig works as planned, I am just very mindful of RR tracks, speed bumps,etc. Does not seem to affect MPG much either.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do you know what the GVW is for your van? Do you know the front & rear weights, when you are loaded for travel?

Depending on your interior storage layout, you may be able to store your heaviest items as far forward as possible, to help counter some of the tail-weight. This would help stabilize the vehicle over RR tracks, etc.

Also, with more weight and airbags, your RV probably need stiffer shock absorbers, in the rear. Same length, just stiffer valving.

Do you have any pictures of the customized cycle rack? It sounds very interesting.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I too find that one of the drawbacks of my class B is that I don't have another set of wheels to explore beyond the campground. I'd really like to retool my 4x8 utility trailer so I can tow GoldWing around in it. Just a bit concerned about tongue weight, etc etc. And also, an issue is to keep it from getting dirty and paint chipped. After all, the GW is my pride and joy...
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey Johnny- I have an 'OldWing,too. I just got it in Feb, an '82 GL1100 Standard--the naked one. Or in this case, half naked, as the PO put a fairing on it. Oh... I LOVE it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
Platinum Member

"Depending on your interior storage layout, you may be able to store your heaviest items as far forward as possible, to help counter some of the tail-weight."

In my van , ALL the weight is toward the back-- generator, inverter,house batteries, furnace, water heater, water tanks.... It's all over the rear axle, which I guess is ok design as the engine is over the front axle. I do keep weight low, as possible, but then again I got that pesky DuoTherm roof air. Although it is built in, to make it slightly more aerodynamic- it's still more weight, also over rear wheels. So these air bags I installed are earning their keep!

I basically carry clothes, a couple pots and plastic dishes- no real weighty items-- it's all built in.
What do people carry that's heavy? Oh, a case of beer?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

In the winter, we carry our water in jugs, when we are out on the road. We keep that forward, in the bottom of a closet. We currently have our tools at the rear, under the bed, but I am working to have those all stored forward, under the 3rd seat.

Our current weight distribution when dry, is 4000 lbs on the front axle, and 5000 lbs on the rear axle. Most of the storage space is behind the midpoint of the vehicle. Like yours, our genny, AC, inverter, propane tank, and one water tank, are all behind the rear axle. The black/grey tanks are between the front and rear axles. As they fill up, weight is transfered out of the rear water tank, and into these two waste tanks, improving weight distribution. But we don't want to run around with full black/grey tanks.

So I am slowly trying to improve the weight balance; but everything is a compromise, and it will never be perfect.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Platinum Member

"But we don't want to run around with full black/grey tanks. "

Yeah, I have the feeling it's like a kid with a full diaper- don't go there. However, it is good to know what your "maximums" are, esp if the tank gauges don't seem quite right. I have gone as long as 2 weeks on the black tank,10 days average, more on the gray and have never - NEVER- run out of fresh water. Unfortunately I have no idea how many gallons these tanks hold, as there is nothing in my owner's manual about it. Anyone out there with a 1996 Class B that knows their capacities? Mine is probably close. I am guessing 10 gals each on black and gray, and 35 on water?

One NICE feature of the Bigfoot is the heat ducts run where the water is. One goes around the water heater and one goes around the fresh tank and the B/G tanks. I know this because when it's cold out and I've had the furnace running, the warmest place is in the enclosed bathroom, the toilet is actually warm and the bath and kitchen taps run warm. (ps I never put my water heater on unless I'm about to take a shower)
I think- hope- this means it won't freeze up if I keep the furnace on?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

My '02 RT C190P brochure states the following capacities....
Fresh 26 US gallons
Gray 24 US gallons
Black 13 US gallons

There have been discussions on this, and other forums (I think? Perhaps I dreamed it), about the disparity
in capacity between the black and gray tanks on some smaller RVs. I've also read about some DIY connections
that some have added to allow additional black water capacity by redirecting it to the gray tanks, and vice versa,
via hoses and pumps to extend the dumping "range". Personally, I'm good with the current numbers for mine.

Ductwork? That is special. Roadtreks don't have any as far as I know. It's just one vent blowing out from under
the passenger side bed, and that's all we have. However, it does keep the sleeping area warm when it's freezing out.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit
Hey Johnny- I have an 'OldWing,too....
I'll meet you at http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/
or
http://www.ngwclub/forum for the naked goldwings
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
Platinum Member

YAY for naked GoldWings.
I LOVE my bike. I started in 2004 with an '82 GL500 SilverWing. So I feel I've come full circle after a few more bikes. Now I know why there's NOTHING like a GoldWing.
I might be on one or other of those sites-- shezonit.