Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Assuming the gauges work, many don't, or, are not accurate.

Also, won't help with a RT rear inside tank.

To those of you who can hear the change as the tank fills, I envy you.
Besides my diminished hearing, the noise of aircraft, trains and other vehicles, I gave up trying to hear it.
Stethoscope
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Assuming the gauges work, many don't, or, are not accurate.

Also, won't help with a RT rear inside tank.

To those of you who can hear the change as the tank fills, I envy you.
Besides my diminished hearing, the noise of aircraft, trains and other vehicles, I gave up trying to hear it.
Per your last point, I got a taste of that camping at a miserable site near Monterey, California a couple of weeks back. The campground is right next to a very busy freeway. It was so noisy, I couldn't hear myself think, much less hear the hiss of propane as I was trying to light my stove.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Stethoscope
LOL.
The whole point of this thread was to avoid having to stand there and listen to the water filling. Assuming we could hear it.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Yes LOL Deano...maybe I'm missing something, but my 08 Lexor holds about 30 gallons, at about 6 gallons per minute, it takes about 4 or 5 minutes. So many other things to worry about. If you want to slow the flow down, after 3 or so minutes, and wait for the overflow (Since it's so hard to hear) what's the big deal if a little water shoots out? That's what the overflow is for. I'll let you have the last word, I suspect you will enjoy that, but I for one won't be jumping on Amazon to order a gasoline type nozzle. I find this entire subject thread rather comical
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I really like the idea of auto shut off for gravity fill tanks and that Deano shared this idea with us. If it was a smaller $10 plastic part available at Camping World most RVers with gravity fill tanks would buy it and use it - me included.

Keep posting the good ideas
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Based on the disaster of pressure built up and destruction of the tank housing in my previous truck camper a reliable water flow stop was one of the design objectives. In my case of pressurized fill, I let water run until water is running from the pressure relieve valve under the van, it works great – just turn off the solenoid fill valve when full.

If I didn’t have the pressure fill system a control nozzle would very likely be a possible option.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
Bud
Platinum Member

Another solution, starts at about 20 seconds:

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #28
Silver Member

I went ahead and bought the automatic shut off fuel nozzle from Amazon just for kicks, took it apart and found the inside tainted with diesel fuel… not sure if used (does not appear to be) or its from testing at the factory. Thoroughly cleaning it out of diesel and diesel smell could be difficult with small passages/ orifices inside the nozzle/ nozzle body…so be warned.

FYI: The large spring, the push rod, and the screen filter by the inlet is magnetic metal and can get rusted overtime if constantly exposed to water/moisture. The diaphragm seal has a plastic pin in the middle with magnetic metal at the base, the diaphragm spring and the retaining 3-ball bearings are slightly magnetic and possibly made of 304 stainless. The nozzle body is casted out of aluminum.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
Bronze Member

This works fine for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just don't want to stand there for 10 minutes holding the hose. I get this going, and do other prep on the RV and then when I hear it spilling over, which I can hear while inside or on the other side of the RV, I turn off the water. I don't mind a quart or two of water overflowing.
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote