Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finished one small step in my van conversion

I now turn to the back panel of the cabinet. In its up-position, it covers and protects the drawers section, while in the down-position it functions as a side table when sitting outside the van, with the side doors of the cargo van conversion open.

Follow my progress on cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Platinum Member

The back panel is finished, the hardware is ordered; in the meantime my attention shifts to the drawer construction. Rails are installed and drawer panels put together.

Look here for for details and more pics.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Do you use any nails or screws?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Do you use any nails or screws?
The short answer is Yes, the long answer is more complicated.
I see nails mostly as temporary fasteners; an example is to keep things straight during glue-up and in difficult to reach areas. Screws on the other hand, are a lot more precise and have more holding power. Especially in cross grain connections glue is not an optimal choice because of seasonal workings of the wood. In that case, screws in wide holes are an option.
Ordinary yellow wood glues have improved so much over the years, that failure in glue-ups should not be an option anymore. Of course, well prepared surfaces are a crucial part of that. And I prefer to minimally use a water-resistant version of the glue or a waterproof version in case of an outdoor project.

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Just this morning I used a screw. Wow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (34.7 KB, 1612 views)

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I looked through maybe 50 photos on your site yesterday I didn't see a single screw! That's what prompted my question.
You have lots of clamps though. Your method makes for a nice finished piece.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
I looked through maybe 50 photos on your site yesterday I didn't see a single screw! That's what prompted my question.
You have lots of clamps though. Your method makes for a nice finished piece.
Too few clamps anyway. Can't have enough clamps.

Too be fair, I do use screws, etc. but only if necessary. If you look in the picture with the arrow, at the top-left corner of the inset, you'll see one of a set of three that holds/enforces one of the internal drawer rails.

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
Platinum Member

A lot of time is spent on this multi purpose cabinet in pursuit of a high standard of finish. When it is ready and installed in the next two weeks, I will continue with the cargo van conversion. There's the solar prep and walls & floors to be finished.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Platinum Member

That is quite the piece. That type of work takes time.
You probably have your solar project planned out but here's a three page topic on Solar that you might find interesting: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=12&t=712
I tried to cover the different types of panels and mounting etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is quite the piece. That type of work takes time.
You probably have your solar project planned out but here's a three page topic on Solar that you might find interesting: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=12&t=712
I tried to cover the different types of panels and mounting etc.
A little bit dated, but lots of good solar info. I have not decided which panels yet and still have to figure out how to install them on the roof.

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Previously I messed up one of the drawer bottoms of the cabinet that I’m making for my (cargo) van conversion. First redo that, then do the top surface with access to the cooktop.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Platinum Member

After my last post, I took a short brake, but now I’m refreshed and at it again. We are in the final stretch of the multi purpose cabinet and next time I hope to have it ready to install in the (cargo) van conversion.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #33
Platinum Member

That is a fine piece of furniture.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Platinum Member

As I am struggling a bit to finish the multi-use cabinet, the next phase of the van conversion will entail some of the wiring for the off-grid electrical system. Before any new cabinets are built, cables have to be laid. At the same time, buying a battery charger, inverter, some batteries and an induction cooktop, will give give me ever more use of the van, while the conversion is underway.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Now that the different parts of the electrical system have been established, the first thing to do is calculate the number of batteries needed to support the daily energy use. Here a lot of time goes into researching all appliances that will ultimately be installed. Adding up their amperage use, will yield our daily ‘electric bill’.

More on cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #36
Platinum Member

After upgrading to off-grid power and power storage, this post elaborates on the available power generating tools for a small RV. The electrical calculations are comprised into a detailed schematic overview, that serves as the basis for the installation.

Follow me at cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Planning a large system but starting smaller and making it expandable is a good idea. A lot depends on how often you will have to drive the van for water, food, waste dumping, change of scenery, etc. and therefore charge via the alternator.
Cooling won't be easy in the summer. Solar panels need sunlight. A van in the direct sun gets hot. It seems to retain the heat for a long time after the sun goes down too. I try to park in the shade even with solar on the roof Ideally, you'll find a way to pass a good volume of air through the van even when windows have to be closed for heavy rains, thunderstorms etc.. Just stuff to think about.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
Platinum Member

The introduction to off-grid power (upgrading to off-grid power, power storage and power generation) is concluded with a post about monitoring and maintenance. With all this knowledge we can finally begin with the wiring.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Electrical wiring

While working on the multi-use cabinet, I started with some of the wiring. Before I can continue building new cabinets, the majority of the electrical wiring has to be installed.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Continuing with the wiring of the van, gives me the opportunity to search for and order some of the materials, needed in the coming weeks. My list currently consists of wire connectors, heat shrink, 12V outlets and power inlet. I still haven’t found decent and affordable 12V LED light fixtures either.

CargoVanConversion.com