Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finished one small step in my van conversion

Another post on wiring of the van. Two heavier wire gauges will support the appliances to be installed on the driver’s side.

Follow my progress at cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Very neat work.
How will you be distributing DC? Are you going to use a DC panel with fuses for each wire run?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Having batteries, doesn’t automatically mean access to 12V. Thus, two access points are planned in the van. One 12V socket is located at the solar components (controller, charger, inverter, etc.) compartment, under the bed.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Very neat work.
How will you be distributing DC? Are you going to use a DC panel with fuses for each wire run?
I was thinking of connecting everything directly to power posts close to the batteries, with the appropriate fuses added.
Might be a good idea to add a separate DC fuse panel for all the individual wires.

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #45
Platinum Member

On the (+) positive side a DC fuse panel would keep the wiring organized and easily visible for any future troubleshooting.
On the (-) negative side I used a common buss bar.

That factored in on my decision to get a all-in-one power center. http://www.bestconverter.com/4000-Serie ... c_138.html
I've had a few issues with my particular PD4045 but I still like the small size and all-in-one solution it offers. http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...tart=24#p11174

I started adding up what it would cost to buy (separately) an enclosed DC fuse panel and a converter and a AC panel...........
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Cargo Van Conversion | Battery Monitor Comparison

We’re now at a point in the cargo van conversion where decisions have to be made about battery monitors and solar controllers. The latter is not urgent, as the solar panels won’t be installed before next year, but they have to be incorporated in the overall decision. This phased-in approach will allow battery monitoring, while charging from an outside source. It allows for short trips with added comfort and a chance to test and evaluate the electrical system.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
Platinum Member

The compartment under the bed that will hold the charger, controller, inverter, etc. is a small enclosure and needs some form of cooling. I choose a 5” computer fan with thermal control, that automatically adjusts its speed as the temperature rises. Other considerations were low noise level (<18dB), high airflow volume (up to 42cfm) and low current (<0.2A).

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Default Cargo Van Conversion | 110V Power Inlet

The van is internally a 12V system fed by solar panels, with some 110V outlets powered by an inverter. Only the battery charger needs access to an exterior power source. For this, a 15A power inlet is installed next to the rear door, on the passenger side of the van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Just a note for anyone reading this. RV's typically have a 30 amp or 50 amp inlet for power. Most Class B Vans will have a 30 amp inlet so that you can run a few items or appliances at the same time. cargovanconversion's choice of a 15 amp inlet is adequate for his needs but it is not typical. The fridge, water heater, microwave oven, converter/charger, air conditioner, hair dryers, coffee makers, TV's, computers etc., all run off 110 volt grid power so you need to consider the combined amp draw. 15 amps is 1800 watts maximum. 30 amps would be 3600 watts maximum.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to rbrtwareham

great work! I'm impressed
rbrtwareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Just a note for anyone reading this. RV's typically have a 30 amp or 50 amp inlet for power. Most Class B Vans will have a 30 amp inlet so that you can run a few items or appliances at the same time. cargovanconversion's choice of a 15 amp inlet is adequate for his needs but it is not typical. The fridge, water heater, microwave oven, converter/charger, air conditioner, hair dryers, coffee makers, TV's, computers etc., all run off 110 volt grid power so you need to consider the combined amp draw. 15 amps is 1800 watts maximum. 30 amps would be 3600 watts maximum.
In my installation I strictly limit my use of the power inlet to the battery charger, to which it is connected. All other use of 110V will run thru the inverter. Fridge, computer, etc. will all run on 12V and there is no room for water heater or A/C.
I agree with markopolo, that this is a design choice specifically for this small cargo van conversion. Anybody with larger RV's with more appliances (and more comfort) should opt for 30 or 50 amp.

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Default Cargo Van Conversion | Toilet Access Door with Wooden Hinges

The last time I worked on the bed, the pull-out, sliding shelf was installed. Now I’ll continue with a door for the toilet compartment. In deliberating the hinge options, I came across a simple wooden hinge design, that looked appropriate for this application.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Default Cargo Van Conversion | 12V Fan Switch

Recently a fan was installed to cool the solar components, like controller, battery charger, etc. As it is not necessary to run the fan continuously, a switch can regulate its use.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Before continuing with the other side of the van interior, it’s time to put the wall and window above the bed, back together again.
Two issues remain: the battery cables and the solar controller cable need to be installed. The other is the decision I have to make, whether to go ahead with batting as insulation or choose a foam product.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Default Cargo Van Conversion | Monitor Console

Between the window and the side doors is a narrow strip of wall available to house a small console. It is the future location of the battery monitor and a reading light.

Follow the building process picture by picture at cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Magazine Rack (1)
Utilizing every available space is a priority; the area to the right of the rear side window is large enough to accommodate a magazine rack and is conveniently close to the bed. This will allow for some late night reading.

Follow the building process picture by picture at http://cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Default Magazine Rack (2)

Before continuing with the assembly, the three front pieces that are made out of Tiger Maple, need some ‘popping’, that is, enhancing the visibility of the curl in the wood.

Follow the building process picture by picture at cargovanconversion.com

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Looks like you are back at it. I like the pen/pencil holder idea incorporated in the magazine/book rack.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Default Magazine Rack (3)

All the parts are now ready for assembly.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Can you share any pics of your over all progress? Interior shots? Is it livable yet. Are you planning any trips?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote