Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Fire extinguishers.

I am selecting fire extinguisher, my old Halon one has low pressure and is too big, so I want to get a new one and mount it at the sliding door under the potoman. The easiest mount to attach to the 8020 aluminum framing will be this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

I selected either this small 1.4 lbs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER or a larger one 2.5 lbs will fit under the place under the cassette toilet. Amerex Halguard has small and large unit at similar prices.

Comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR12557.jpg (276.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png Fire extingusher2.png (249.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Fire extingusher.png (301.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Amerex.png (364.4 KB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Just a personal bias but I prefer Halon 1211 which is still available. It saved my butt last year and I was able to get it refilled. I just bought three new 1211 extinguishers. Can't remember from whom but I bet Amerex has them.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just a personal bias but I prefer Halon 1211 which is still available. It saved my butt last year and I was able to get it refilled. I just bought three new 1211 extinguishers. Can't remember from whom but I bet Amerex has them.
Can you educate on the advantages of Halon extinguishers. All I have are the old style dry chemical ones.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Fire off a dry chemical extinguisher and you are left with an extreme corrosive mess to clean up ASAP. I don't know if the Halon substitute extinguishers work as well as Halon 1211 but I know Halon 1211 works very, very well so I stick with it.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

In the second post someone from the Corvette forum claims Halotron has about ˝ of the efficiency of Halon. Halon is no longer manufactured due to ozone hole restriction. I found 2.5 lbs. Amerex on Amazon for over $200 with seems as a good bracket.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-halotron.html

https://www.amazon.com/Amerex-C352TS.../dp/B00F5CKKOO
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Platinum Member

New type of fire extinguisher, many benefits. Only downside is not refillable because once activated, it runs till it is out.

https://elementfire.com
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It is interesting product made in Italy, see the link, it leaves some residue of potassium salt. Potassium nitrate with some other chemical is used to produce and propel the flame suppressant. It is warrantied for 3 years only. Sicurezza

I will go with either Halon or Halon replacements such as Halotron or Haliguard. CO2 extinguishers are also good but too big. Amerex used to sold 2.5 lbs. unit but it is no longer available.

As I was looking for fire extinguishers a few minutes ago I smelled something burning like cables, insulation, something electrical. My first thought was – did Google marketing is going so far to discharge smoke to keep me looking? Checked PC, power supplies, smell was only in this room not outside or the rest of the house. Finely eureka, it was the small fluorescent bulb in the ceiling fixture.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
New type of fire extinguisher, many benefits. Only downside is not refillable because once activated, it runs till it is out.

https://elementfire.com
If you want a traditional style fire extinguisher with HalGuard, try Bruce's Speed Shop. Great prices

Bruces Online Speed Shop - H3R Performance
Old 12-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
If you want a traditional style fire extinguisher with HalGuard, try Bruce's Speed Shop. Great prices

Bruces Online Speed Shop - H3R Performance
Thank you, indeed good prices.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
g1g
Platinum Member

I ran across this option. I Don't know anything about it other than it is expensive
https://www.ake.com/about-us/
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Interesting fire extinguishers, expensive.

I decided to go with the Amerex Halotron 2.5 lbs. from this place https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/fi...ting-2b-c.html

The flat mount is from this place https://tek208.com/product/quick-rel...black-anodized I was looking for a mount allowing removal with one hand due to placement, just above the lower step at the sliding door, and this one should work.

My second choice was a Halon extinguisher but price skewed me towards Halotron and halon is getting outlawed in some states for personal use, you can still get them even though manufacturing stopped almost 25 years ago. I have an old Halon extinguisher but would need to be tested, it is really in bad shape, at least it looks bad.
Attached Images
File Type: png ext.png (182.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png mount.png (553.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 AM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post

I decided to go with the Amerex Halotron 2.5 lbs. from this place https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/fi...ting-2b-c.html

The flat mount is from this place https://tek208.com/product/quick-rel...black-anodized I was looking for a mount allowing removal with one hand due to placement, just above the lower step at the sliding door, and this one should work.

My second choice was a Halon extinguisher but price skewed me towards Halotron and halon is getting outlawed in some states for personal use, you can still get them even though manufacturing stopped almost 25 years ago. I have an old Halon extinguisher but would need to be tested, it is really in bad shape, at least it looks bad.
George, what aren't you prepared for?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I wish to know.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post

Have you received yours? I'd like to order one, as well, but am unfamiliar with the company so wanted to be sure they were responsive.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Have you received yours? I'd like to order one, as well, but am unfamiliar with the company so wanted to be sure they were responsive.
I ordered both 2 days ago, the mounting bracket via Amazon will be delivered on Monday.

The extinguisher will be shipped directly from the Amerex Co. I ordered the extinguisher with chrome finish which is custom and it will take 2-3 weeks to get it. I talked to them before ordering.

We discussed which color and decided on either black, white or chrome, red would be to pronounced in this very visible place so chrome with 2-3 weeks delay was OK.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

The engineering marvel came in, impressive quality. It is expensive but during fire emergency I would pay tenfold for quick, single handed extinguisher removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00500.JPG (490.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Fire extinguisher installed

Installation of the fire extinguisher finished, easily accessible at the sliding door, one hand removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00603.JPG (408.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00602.JPG (439.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00604.JPG (423.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00605.JPG (352.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
Platinum Member

George,

I am considering upgrading the fire suppression in our rv's. Now that you have had your system in place for several months and hopefully have not had to use it, are you still happy with it or would you now use something different?

Almost pushed the submit button to order but thought that I would check for your possible update.

Thanks,
Pat
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Having nearly lost my Roadtrek 190P to fire I have a little different take.

Halon worked so very well for me so I will have no other.

Instant access is the most important. I have one mounted by the bed in the back and one on the wall above my head in the driver’s seat.

Placing one behind a sliding door is a non starter for me unless it is the third one.

When I lit off a propane leak from a loose fitting behind the fridge I was outside beside the fridge. I ran to the back, turned off the propane, opened the door, grabbed the extinguisher ran forward and squirted through the fridge vent. Fire went out.

The lesson was the extinguisher had been floating around in the bedding for years and I had to search for it. It needs to be hard mounted so you know exactly where it is in the dark. I was stupid to put myself in that situation and lucky to have the extinguisher and be able to put my hands on it in the dark.

With an engine fire you want to Be able to grab it from the driver’s seat. You are also in the perfect position to help someone else.

When I took it to be refilled they laughed at the little 1 1/2 lb bottle. Said it was useless. I used 16 ounces out of 24. Saved my van.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
George,

I am considering upgrading the fire suppression in our rv's. Now that you have had your system in place for several months and hopefully have not had to use it, are you still happy with it or would you now use something different?

Almost pushed the submit button to order but thought that I would check for your possible update.

Thanks,
Pat
I would repeat the same, Halotron is much less damaging to ozone layer than Halon and a reasonable substitute. Halon is no longer available on open market but still available for airplanes.

I like the bracket a lot, single push on the lever to remove the extinguisher.