Old 10-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Antoine, I saw your comments about the Webasto clogging. What kinds of altitude do you think caused the problem? We just installed ours this spring and probably haven't used it over 4,000 feet, but we know at some point we will need to do the adjustment.

Looking forward to your indoor shower. As serious hikers, we are facing the same dilemma.

MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #92
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Antoine, I saw your comments about the Webasto clogging. What kinds of altitude do you think caused the problem? We just installed ours this spring and probably haven't used it over 4,000 feet, but we know at some point we will need to do the adjustment.

Looking forward to your indoor shower. As serious hikers, we are facing the same dilemma.
We were at sea level, so altitude was not the problem!!
It might have been that my exhaust was too close from my intake (I changed it since then).

I spoke with TechWebasto guys; they say the gasoline model is more prone to clogging than the diesel model. Even if you're at sea level, adjust it for high altitude to reduce the chance of carbon buildup! Also, the Webasto should run for NO LESS than 20-30 minutes each time. And at last, you should run it on HIGH for at least 20-30 minutes each month.

This is the info I gathered the last few weeks!

2016 Ford Transit High-Roof, Extended-Length, camper van conversion for mountain biking & splitboarding adventures.
atoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #93
Bronze Member

Budget is probably the biggest contributor of the "GO/NO-GO" decision for a trip like ours. A few years ago, we had to make guesstimates about our foreseen travel expenses. We wish we had a baseline to start with... So, in hope of helping future travelers, here are our actual expenses for the month of September 2017!

Vanlife Actual Cost | FarOutRide

2016 Ford Transit High-Roof, Extended-Length, camper van conversion for mountain biking & splitboarding adventures.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #94
Platinum Member

I always enjoy reading your posts - they are interesting as well as clever!

Thanks for sharing your costs. Sounds like you weren't too far off in your estimates - hope it continues to go well for you!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #95
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I always enjoy reading your posts - they are interesting as well as clever!

Thanks for sharing your costs. Sounds like you weren't too far off in your estimates - hope it continues to go well for you!
Thanks for the kind word!

The trip is getting better and better, we're adjusting to find a rhythm that works for both of us.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #96
Bronze Member

Default Insulated Window Covers

While curtains work for houses, we think insulated window covers are a better option for campervans...
They are lightproof (for shade & privacy) and insulated (to keep us cool in summer, warm in winter).
We're obsessed with functionality and with the rare earth magnets all around the edges, they just "snap" to the van metal window contour. Easy breazy!

On a hot and sunny summer day, the covers will prevent a green house effect; it makes a HUGE difference!
On cold days (winter, but also in fall/spring at night), they also make a big difference; we sometimes remove them to get better cell phone signal and it doesn't take long before it gets uncomfortably cold.

Here is our write-up:
Insulated Window Covers | FarOutRide

Cheers!