Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieps View Post
Ron, I’m thinking about updating my 2014 RT 210P (2013 chassis) with the Moog 81004 front springs and Airlift bags on the back. I talked to my shop this morning. Their only concern was if the approximate 2” lift would cause the shocks to top out. Have you had and such issues with your 210? Jim
I put new Bilstein shocks in front (and back) when I put new springs in front that gave me ~2-inches of lift. I did use some washers on the shocks to add a little more space (~ 3/8-1/2-inch) to reduce potential of topping out. I haven't measured anything but I haven't had any problems that I know of.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #42
Bronze Member

Hiya. do you have the p/n for the Bilstein shocks close? thanks j harris
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker1 View Post
Hiya. do you have the p/n for the Bilstein shocks close? thanks j harris
These are part numbers of Bilstein shocks I bought in 2011 for 2006 RT 210P..

Front: BE5-G611-H0
Rear: BE5-2570
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 AM   #44
Bronze Member

Question reducing lift on MOOGs?

Hiya.. 2008 RT 210 Pop looking for more ground clearance. Current front spring measured at wire diameter of .94", with small tag at bottom saying "Mexico", could not count the # of turns.

so, if I get the MOOG springs, and they give more lift than desired, can I cut a half loop off? Anything magic about how the coil seats into the frame tower or the A arm to preclude this?

thanks
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:24 AM   #45
Silver Member

The Moogs are nine turns and the wire is 1.04”. The top and bottom turn is flat so I doubt cutting part of a loop off will work.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Interesting. For my previous generation van, I used a shorter Moog coil (81008 ) from the same series. Photo here: - https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post39333

Neither end appeared flat to me although one end seemed a bit flatter than the other. I figured that I could cut them if necessary. It would have been difficult though and I'm glad I didn't have to.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #47
Platinum Member

I think that they other thing with the current Moog springs to remember is that it appeared back when we were looking at this stuff in the past that many of the other brands looked to be using the exact same spring as the Moog. I think Husky was one. I think it was Markopolo that even had a list posted of the various brands that looked to have the identical springs in one of his discussions when he was doing his earlier model Chevy.

To get as much lift as we are seeing in the newer Moog springs they have to be very high spring rate as the measurements that people have done for overall length looked to be very close to the same as the old ones. The number of coils also looked to be the same, and the wire diameter also claimed to be the same 1.032". That pretty much leaves the material and heat treating as the variables. It also makes it very likely that besides giving too much lift, they will also ride very harshly.

This is whole thing is very, very, similar to what we have seen in the Bill Erb springs lately, also, including the ones that I tested a while ago. Early Erb spring installs gave in the 2.0 to 2.5 inches of lift range but the ones I tested gave way more than that. The Erb springs were always a bit longer than stock so required a compressor to put in, so putting them in and taking them out again required two uses of the compressor. I was very careful to not overcompress them, but after I was done they were severely bowed which would indicate the material was not ductile enough. Here is a link to what I found on the Erb springs I tested and what going that high does to suspension geometry, chances of damaging parts, and driving quality.
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ning-6871.html

I would not be surprised if whoever is making the springs for the various brands has changed vendor(s) and the springs are not coming out the same. It is also probably pretty likely that they have been moved to a country that doesn't use the higher quality spring steel alloys and sophisticated heat treating equipment needed to do the job properly.

At this point, IMO, I don't know that we have a decent source of springs for getting the 2" lift back to the stock ride height that many of us got in the past.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #48
Platinum Member

I just put in a request for information to Moog asking what happened to the 81004 a couple of years ago. We will see what they have to say, although I am not particularly optimistic they will say anything useful. My guess would be the standard butt covering response of "that isn't the right spring for that van" or "the specs haven't changed so it has to be the same spring".

But it is worth a shot to ask. It would sure be interesting to see the results for one of them off a springrate tester. The calculations would indicate the springs have to be at a rate that is about 50% higher than before.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote