Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Front Window covers for Van

I wasn't keen on the "upgraded" window covers that came with our Crossfit -
I found they were heavy, hard to store and the magnets were too weak to be useful. I made my own by layering Mylar-coated bubble wrap (Reflectix from Home Depot) in fabric and sewing a couple of magnets in. The bubble wrap is so light, the magnets didn't have to struggle. Still takes up more room than I would like, but much easier to deal with. I sold the covers that came from Coachmen to another Transit owner, so not everyone feels like I do.

I made the front covers out of two sections so I wasn't always hitting the rear-view mirror when I put them in and out. The two vertical blue strips contain 3/8" dowels so they hold up well by using the visors to hold them in place. I put rubber tips on the dowels so they wouldn't tear the binding tape.

Because the front of the side-cover slips between the dash and the window, I only needed three magnets to hold the side covers in place. Note that I am not a frequent seamstress, nor a very good one so the fit and finish are pretty terrible, but they get the job done.

I also cut squares out of the Reflectix to slide into the house windows (not covered) and they work really well at insulating the van. Seems like the windows are the weakest link for temperature control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflectix-radiant-barrier-bp48025-64_1000.jpg (56.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0381.jpg (127.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0382.jpg (134.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

OK, I have NO IDEA why the images are loading upside down - they look fine on my computer...
Old 12-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
OK, I have NO IDEA why the images are loading upside down - they look fine on my computer...
Most likely you rotated images in a photo processing software but didn’t save them. Try to save them and then post.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Covering the reflectix in fabric a nice idea. Did you sew through the reflectix at all or just the edge tape and fabric? Stiffening dowels are a good idea, too. I'm planning to make winter covers for the windows above our beds. I appreciate your solution.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I sewed right through the Reflectix. It was no problem at all for the machine.

Making the front into two pieces has worked really well. I hated having to readjust the rear view mirror every time I took the shades down. Because I'm not tall, I would have to scoot forward in the seat, adjust the mirror, then sit back to see if it was in the right place, then repeat as needed, since I couldn't tell how it would look from the driving position.

I tried rotating the images and saving them, but they still posted upside down. Interesting, since I posted them in the Crossfit Facebook group and they look fine there.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I opened in Photos from Windows rotated and saved as - did not work, tried with Paint from Windows - success - weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0381 a.jpg (37.3 KB, 272 views)
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks, George - looks much better right-side-up!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Reflectix another solution:

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #9

Reflectix I seen it used in many applications. The reflective barrier stops the temp transfer!
Roadman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Reflectix got its name because it reflects heat away. You cover up the reflective surface and you get a lousy insulator.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Reflectix got its name because it reflects heat away. You cover up the reflective surface and you get a lousy insulator.

You won't believe how many people make this mistake.

One guy glued the Refectix to the inside steel wall of his DIY van.
He got upset, not at himself, but at the guy who told him he's wrong.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You won't believe how many people make this mistake.

One guy glued the Refectix to the inside steel wall of his DIY van.
He got upset, not at himself, but at the guy who told him he's wrong.
The previous video shows how not to use Reflectix as well, common mistake, but it will work as well as bubble wrap except finer bubble wrap would be better

For us the Sprinter windshield and front side windows were the main heat transfer hot/cold spots and we found that a double cover works great. External white vinyl and internal double loose fabric, I have a picture for the rear window cover but the same concept as for the front window.

In designing the window covers we paid special attention to fast deployment. Inside cover for front and front sides takes about 20 sec., all Velcro straps. Sliding door 15sec., Velcro patches; and all the rest of windows covers are on custom sliders in aluminum 8020 profiles, very fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR10188.jpg (430.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR2636.jpg (498.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR2637.jpg (367.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That may be true and it's possible I could have used a different (potentially slightly cheaper) kind of bubble wrap, but the Reflectix is rather stiff so the covers needed very little reinforcing to maintain their shape, and any air gap is better than no air gap...as anyone who has replaced their home's single-pane windows knows.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Heat Shield window covers

I ditched the expensive deluxe covers too and ordered the brand name "heat shield" front and side windows covers. They weigh very little and roll up pretty easy. I store them right behind my seat. Great black out shades.
Coachmen Crossfit owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

How good is the quality of those Heat Shield products?
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #16

Default Reflective surface

The reflective surface reflects heat or cold from passing through. The foil has a bubble of air 1/8 inch high. So its a lousy insulator. High score for stopping the transfer of temp extremes.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
How good is the quality of those Heat Shield products?
Roadman is correct about the material. They have decent edging, and seem to be custom cut. I am happy with the windshield version for the Promaster I've had since July. The Heat Shield rolls up nicely and is pretty easy to put in. The OEM WBO folding set was bulkier and more frustrating. But as you know van windshields are huge which explains innate awkwardness and high price (somewhat). It definitely helped with heat in the summer sun, and we tended to stick it in when parking in the sun (never with the OEM version). I don't have a feeling about the value in cold weather. Because it curls up a bit it doesn't cover the edges of the windshield perfectly, but I don't think this affects privacy too much.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #18

Living in New England, remodeling and building homes for the past 35 yrs I've seen a lot of good and bad ideas. Besides the foil bubble use in our RV's it works great on garage doors to keep out the cold. When It gets to -22* you look for those little comfort tweek's.