Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Garage parking assist

I finally finished my garage parking helper gizmo. My objective was to be able to park forward-in or back-in using the same gadget with minimum clearance to the garage door. I selected an IR beam sensor with a retroreflective mirror to simplify wiring. By picking correct height, either the front bumper or the rear ladder can be sensed for correct distance. To automate I used my Z-wave system.

I couldn't find parking tools capable to work for both front or back in.

This is how it works:

Open door > Tilt sensor sends the signal open door to the base - Homeseer > Homeseer turns on switch module with plugged in parking assist system for 15 min. For the parking tool I only added the switch module to my z-wave automation system.

Green light indicates that clearance from the garage door is sufficient.

To improve a questionable reliability of the tilt sensors I replaced their simple mechanical switches with mercury level indicators.

Works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR00306.jpg (613.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg GZR00307.jpg (795.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GZR00313.jpg (544.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg GZR00308.jpg (535.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GZR00310.jpg (521.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GZR00311.jpg (568.4 KB, 20 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

wow, nice work as it looks like many ideas coming together to make the fit and close the door correctly.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Gold Member

I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling and as soon as my windshield touches the ball, I know I’m within a couple of inches from the wall and I’m in far enough for the garage door to close.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I looked into tennis balls, ultrasonic distance measuring device, lasers connected to garage door opener and none could assist parking for both front in and back in. I average about 50/50 parking front or back in.

My last 3 options were:

1. A line projecting laser with a mirror – difficult mirror location for front and back in $30-60.

2. Wi-Fi camera mounted at the garage door monitored by my Android head unit – most of these are wide angle lenses and I needed a unit with a longer focal length lens $150.

3. IR beam sensor with a green light – found one height which would work for front or back in, works with garage door being opened so this one was my choice $75.

Without that dual parking mode of front or back in needs any of the $20 laser parking assist connected to garage door openers is a great choice, it turns on automatically, serves to cars, and is very accurate.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Bronze Member

That's a tight fit, George. Love the innovative solution. Do I understand correctly that the system is enabled for 15 minutes when garage door is opened as sensed by the tilt sensor? And the green light is illuminated when the beam becomes unbroken?

All the best,
Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
That's a tight fit, George. Love the innovative solution. Do I understand correctly that the system is enabled for 15 minutes when garage door is opened as sensed by the tilt sensor? And the green light is illuminated when the beam becomes unbroken?

All the best,
Hein
Hello Hein,

Yes, I picked 15 min. and programmed it into the HomeSeer system. And yes, green indicates unbroken beam, meaning I drove far enough in.

Wishing you and your family best for holiday and New Year,

George.