Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Gary’s New Battery Box for Group 27 Battery

Gary’s Battery Box for Group 27 battery

(from wa6muu on the RT Yahoo Group)

Enlarge original battery opening in floor

Forming new box out of sheet metal

New box formed out of sheet metal

View of box from underside of RT

New box installed in floor

Re: Bigger Coach Battery

The battery is a Costco $62.49 Group 27 battery. I looked at the Optima D31A but the price was well over my budget --- more than $200. Additionally, the D31A is only rated at 75 amp-hours --- far less than my goal of 100 amp-hours.

The box is vented to the outside although that is not shown in the picture. The negative lead hole is large, and the seams on the front and rear are not sealed. Additionally, the top has gasket material to seal the battery box from the inside of the van. The box is basically the same as the original box only 2-inches longer.

Should battery acid leak, it can escape thru holes at each corner.

The battery is secured via a rubber "bumper" attached to the cover. This is the securing method Roadtrek designed in the original cover. In fact, I reused the original bumper from the old cover.

If my budget would allow, I would have gone with a large Optima. But that isn't my case. The Costco battery is inexpensive, guaranteed for 12-months with full replacement no questions asked, Costco stores are everywhere. All criteria for our travels. Sometimes it feels like we travel from Costco-to-Costco (but, that's a different subject).

Another plus, the engine battery and the coach battery are exactly the same make and model. I don't think that had any relevance on my selection but it's just an interesting note.

I hope you and others can use ideas from this project. I enjoy the interaction this group provides. I've learned much and have much more to learn. Mary and I find our 1997 Roadtrek comfortable but we are doing modifications that we feel are necessary for our 4-month trip that starts around April 1st.

... Gary 1997 D190P
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Coincidently, I think Gary and I ended up with the same Costco batteries.

See my post here:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52

Here are more detailed specifications on the Kirkland (Costco) model # 27DC675 battery.

Group 27M
CCA: 675
CA: 850
RC: 180 minutes @ 25 amps

Discharge Rate____Hours____Amp-hrs
1.0_______________115______115
5.0_______________18.7_____93
10.0______________8.5______85
15.0______________5.4______81
20.0______________3.9______77

25.0=====> 180 minutes
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote