Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Generator mouse proofing: part 1

Our old Roadtrek had a mouse house in the generator box. Not wanting to deal with that again, I decided to do some galvanized screen custom work. I purchased a 1-1/4 clamp and dug up some old galvanized screening I had in my workshop. I cut the screen into a 5x7 square, snipped out about a 1-1/4 inch hole as well as a slit going from the edge to the hole for ease of installation. I also snipped off the corner in case I/someone needed to access the pictured bolt. The pic tells the rest of the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0277.jpg (46.9 KB, 28 views)
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:49 AM   #2

what am I looking at in that pic? is that the underside if the van where the generator exhaust exits the generator compartment?

If so, isn’t the generator flush with the bottom of the compartment?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Gold Member

Looks like nobody else has replied, so I will. Yes that is the underside of the floor. The large rectangular hole is where the cooling air from the genset exits. Without that screen the critters can enter and build their nest in top of the engine. I have my generator out and I am going to do a similar mod to mine. (Lay the screen on the floor of the compartmen and sit the genset on top of it.)Thanks for the post Moonmanvt!
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Silver Member

Yes,that is exhaust pipe. I am also going to run a vertical piece up around the rear corner/side of compartment by zip tying the screen to the opening. That would take care of the mouseproofing in this experiment. Keep It Simple method!
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
Gold Member

I have rethought my earlier post. I dont think my idea would work after all because one has to have access through the opening in the floor in order to attach the exhaust pipe up inside the generator. My generator sits inside on the original floor of the van and removal is through the inside of the van. The screen mesh would need to be underneath the floor.
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote