Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

Default Help with 1992 210 Popular and Microlite Install

Evening all,
I've worn my fingers off looking for information on how to install a Onan 2800 Microlite into a 1992 210 Popular. I just bought this unit and it does not have the genny installed. From what I've found (virtually nothing) the generator mounts under the floor in the rear of the unit. I've ordered the Onan install kit, resonator and exhaust pipe assembly plus the xfer switch and control panel. I know how to do the mechanical and the electrical without issue. But what's got me is the complete lack of any documentation as to the equipment layout and even electrical driagrams. Unbelieveable! They never made the drawings avaiable to the end user.

Now what I need is exactly where the genny goes in this model. I chatted with Roadtrek and got no where the first time, the second I was told that the generator was in a side compartment by the driver. When I emailed the same question to the service address I was told it was in the rear under the floor. My head hurts!!

Please Please help me here get the "truth".
Thanks
Jack
forjack842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help with 1992 210 Popular and Microlite Install

You're right - typically the generator in a Roadtrek is installed where the under-mount spare tire is located. The spare tire is relocated to a carrier on the rear of the van. So, if you don't have an above the frame compartment that is big enough for an Onan then it was probably an under-mount generator.

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will answer here.

You can ask on the Roadtrek Group on Yahoo also - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek/
Also, take a look at the 1991, 1992 & 1993 brochures to confirm your Roadtrek model. http://www.roadtrek.com/brochure_list.aspx
I see a 210-Independent listed for 1992.

My guess re: "generator ready" would mean there should be some unused wiring for the generator in the spare tire area under the van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #3

Default Re: Help with 1992 210 Popular and Microlite Install

Thanks for the info Markopolo!
The spare tire carrier on the back is another issue I'm trying to work. The Continential carrier assembly is not available either unless you have a hitch and use an after market. There's no hitch either so its engineering time. I'm starting to wonder if its time to hunt down a wrecking year with a few RTs and have at it!

I really need to tie up with a 1991-3 RT 210 Popular owner and get some first hand information.
forjack842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:53 AM   #4

I HAVE A 210 INDEPENDANT AND MY 2800 ONAN WAS UNDER THE BED/REAR BENCH SEATS. THERE WAS AN OUTSIDE ACCESS DOOR TO ACCESS THE PUSH BUTTON START SWITCH AND OTHER SETTINGS. HOPE THAT HELPS
wAYNE
waellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote