Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #401
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
If someone were to take a 190 and do the same it would provide additional payload capability as they weigh less than the 210s from the start but use the same platform. If I had to take more weight I could use a trailer vs the 190 just packing it in/on.
Roadtrek offered the Quigley 4WD option on the 190 until about 3 years when the option was deleted. But I was surprised to learn from their C/S, that if the customer insists, they will include the 4WD option, but won't quote a price for the option until time of sale and God knows when it will be delivered.

cruising7388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #402
Platinum Member

Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems can convert and lift 190s just as easy as they did my 210.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 AM   #403
Platinum Member

Since I moved up to larger tires I needed to modify the spare tire mount to accommodate them.

The stock size for my Roadtrek 210 was a 245/75R-16, a 30.5 inch tire. The new tires are 285-70R-17, a 32.7 inch tire that is 2.2 inches taller and 1.6 inches wider.

When I tried to mount the new wheel/tire to the spare tire carrier it was just too big. It was too deep to lay flat across the mount and too tall to clear the bumper -

Because of the Versahaul motorcycle carrier I could not move the carrier aft so I needed to lengthen the vertical tubing so it could clear the bumper but I also needed to make the mount longer so that the spare wheel would fit square against the carrier mount.

I cut the wheel mount off of the vertical tubing and welded 1.5 inch sections to the mount.I cut the vertical tubing and then welded in a 3 inch section to raise the tire away from the bumper. Then I welded the mount back onto the vertical tubing and cleaned up the welded areas with grinders.

Test fit -

There is a little over an inch between the tire and the rear door-

Up & in place -

A comparison of the stock tire & carrier -

After cleaning up the carrier I spray painted it with 2 coats of satin black -

Installed and with the locking bolt tightened down and the spare is up & out of the way.

I'll have to come up with some kind of cover, maybe a white vinyl cover modded to fit, I'll get to that sometime soon.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:25 AM   #404
Platinum Member

A few days ago I noticed that my Air Lift compressor wasn't working and the wireless controller posted a FAIL message. I installed the Wireless Air system in July of 2017 to replace an older wired Air Lift system that had a bad manifold.

Luckily for me I sat the old compressor on my work bench as a spare.

I found that the compressor was blowing the 15A fuse and I called Air Lift for advice. They said that is almost always a bad compressor and that they would get a new one out to me the same day!

So I removed the bad compressor and installed the old compressor that was probably over 10 years old. It worked right away with the new manifold/controller so when the new one arrives I'll keep that one as a spare.

Just thought I'd pass along my great experience with Air Lift support.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #405
Platinum Member

Since the wheel & tire is exposed I fabbed up a spare tire security chain today out of some coated steel chain, vinyl tubing and a rubberized Master Lock -

Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #406
Platinum Member

Did you lock the support post so they can't take the whole thing?
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #407
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Did you lock the support post so they can't take the whole thing?

No, they'd need 2 different sized wrenches to that.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #408
Platinum Member

Couldn't you just use locking lug nuts on the spare?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #409
Platinum Member

Yeah, I looked into buying one just found sets of lock nuts.

A large lock through the vertical post was also an option but I didn't see one that would fit.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #410
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
A few days ago I noticed that my Air Lift compressor wasn't working and the wireless controller posted a FAIL message. I installed the Wireless Air system in July of 2017 to replace an older wired Air Lift system that had a bad manifold.

Luckily for me I sat the old compressor on my work bench as a spare.

I found that the compressor was blowing the 15A fuse and I called Air Lift for advice. They said that is almost always a bad compressor and that they would get a new one out to me the same day!

So I removed the bad compressor and installed the old compressor that was probably over 10 years old. It worked right away with the new manifold/controller so when the new one arrives I'll keep that one as a spare.

Just thought I'd pass along my great experience with Air Lift support.

Most of the mods on the Chevys like the better wheels, coil springs, shocks, anti-swaybar are bullet proof improvements with no failure rate. By comparison, the Air Lift setup seems to have multiple potential failure points. I had a coach that used a similar (but not wireless) system and over time there were multiple failures - first the compressor, then balky gauges, then leaking air lines, then leaky Tees. Isn't there a passive system like the Sumos that could provide a similar lift without violating the KISS principle?

cruising7388 is online now   Reply With Quote