Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Idea - Goodbye microwave, hello AC

So I have an idea, and it's not so radical but for me it's different.

I have taken the microwave out of my B and measured the space. There are a few wall type AC units that would fit in that space. They are all 5000BTU units.

We don't live in the B, and during the day we're usually outside under a canopy. I'm thinking it would be more for comfort in the evenings or nights or perhaps to remove some humidity.

We also have no use for a microwave in the B so it's no loss to us.

Details - Behind the microwave is a panel, and right behind that panel is venting. I'm honestly not sure why the panel is there as the microwave should have been vented. There is a plugin for the microwave so the AC unit could just be plugged in there instead.

I would remove the panel, install a screen on the vent and build a vent system using Reflectix to aim the exhaust out the vent so it doesn't heat the cabin. I would also add a drain hose that would be attached when parked so moisture would not collect or run down the side.

I have also considered installing a hard start capacitor just so there isn't a huge drain if we are using power for anything else.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Sounds interesting. Remember to not just vent it but drain it or you will have a waterfall inside.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There are several units that not only have low amperage draw, but soft starts built in. Some don't even need condensate drains.

Justin Credible on youtube recently put one in in his Xplorer. Look up that vid on his channel to find out which model it was. He's running it off a 1000 watt yamaha generator mostly, and occassionally his inverter.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think the pooled condensate is used to cool the coils so if you plumb a drain in bear that in mind. There needs to be a balance of keeping some and letting the excess drain. I like the idea of draining the remaining condensate after using the air conditioner and before hitting the road again. Otherwise, the pooled condensate will slop around and could end up in the van.

I have a window type A/C in my van (rear door) and had some of that water come in one time. I might have traveled downhill immediately upon leaving the campsite but I don't remember.

If you're thinking of running your A/C using an inverter then this topic: Running small Air Conditioner on an inverter - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2178 - will give you an idea of the numbers (cooling, power consumption, startup surge) involved. I haven't run mine on the inverter much. I've been thinking of adding a Supco hard start but I have more batteries this year & should get a chance to see how much they help first. Handling the startup surge is the challenge when running the A/C off a small inverter and small battery bank.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not that interested in using an inverter, everywhere we go or plan to go we have power. If we didn't have power then we could do without and just use the new fan (which I didn't take any picture of for a new thread!).

So now I'm searching for the appropriately sized unit. It would be nice if I could find one that has a heat strip as well, but that's another thread.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

That is correct - the newer window a/c units use the water that
Is removed from the cooled air and the water is Splashed onto
The compressor cooling fins to help remove heat-
Hot air expelled from a/c will will contain most all of the water that
Used to drip out of old style window a/c units-

With the small area being cooled in a van it may not collect
Enough water to work as designed-
Groovy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Don't most AC units have vents on the sides? How much space will you have around the sides? I don't know how much you need.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Most of the units state how much space is required for install. I haven't looked too far into it yet. At this point in the year it will probably be a spring project.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Most of the units state how much space is required for install. I haven't looked too far into it yet. At this point in the year it will probably be a spring project.
You might want to take a look at a couple of Roadtreks where they have the AC in the rear under roof area. The later Roadtreks especially do have some issues with the hot exhaust air looping back into the air inlet to the condenser. Sealing is essential to be the most efficient, and if out a flat wall, dividing baffles or using high exhaust low inlet would be a very good idea.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote