Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 AM   #1
TC8
Bronze Member

Default K9 secured bug free rear door locked open in place

Finally I wanted to give maximum air flow, and security for my k9. Now I know many will say you should not leave your dog in the rv but, there are times when you need to. I was able to secure a metal screen to a back rest I made for the rear seat platform. The screen is attached by four u bolts for easy removal. I sits behind my bug screen. Best of all the door closes. Now for the final touch I figured out how to keep the rear door open and secured so that it does not close or swing open during windy conditions. I used a 1/4 inch eye bolt and bolted it to a telescopic pole at 90 degrees. Then I slotted the opposite end to fit the door latch on the left door. The slotted end is pinned in place. The end with the eye bolt is Locked not place with the door latch. The door stays in place. Cost $0 I had all the parts. The rv is cool, open air and bug free, and Cody is a happy dog.
TC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That's the kind of apparatus that one could use if one owned (or had access to) a nice piece of private property such that it would be unlikely that trespassers and thieves would mess with it. The dog could be left unattended if the owner was some distance away.

My only potential concern in that scenario is the scent of my full pantry wafting out to the nostrils of the local bears. When I'm parked, I've always got the van under negative pressure (Fantastic) just in case a bear strolls by. He might smell food in the area, but the smell would be ejecting out the roof and hopefully it would be harder for him to pinpoint. I've seen pics of bear damage to passenger cars (low windows) and cheap campers (just rip off the aluminum siding) but not to large vehicles like Class Bs.

And I'm talking about black bears here. Grizzlies - forget it in any scenario, they can get through almost anything. Black bears are more easily discouraged.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
TC8
Bronze Member

Good point interblog, Cody is a 70 lbs ball of fur. So the things not to valuable are stored in back. I do have a safe in the closet to secure more items. If I do go to a location with bears Cody come with me. Good points we should all heed.
TC8 is offline   Reply With Quote