Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default List of Booster's mods

The forum continues to grow and finding particular topics can be a challenge even with the Advanced Search feature - http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/search.php - so for quick reference I've listed some of Booster's mods here.

2007 Roadtrek 190 electrical upgrade:
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...rade-4007.html

Razor antenna plus more solar
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3574

200 watts solar on 07 C190P Roadtrek
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2414

Dual 6v into 07 C190P Roadtrek
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1994

Charger and inverter upgrades in process
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2901

Roadtrek 190P dual dump setup
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3443

Surge/voltage protector
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1746

Mission "Cool Top"
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2429

Leaky running lights?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2433

Flourescent to LED
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3429

Lazy camper level install
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3428

Wheel offsets, particularly Roadtrek Chevy
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2084

Greasing Chevy sealed wheel bearings
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2417

Battery separator override
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2028

Fiamma support clamps
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2512

New front carpet/mat
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3399

Floor mat hold downs
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3456

Seelevel gauges
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3400

2400cfm trans cooling fan?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2090

Clothes dryer in a Roadtrek?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2786

Vehicle air conditioning override
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3350

Chevy serpentine belt trick
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3203

Door and other trim panels
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2608

Upgraded TV mount
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2175

Upping frig efficiency
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2192

33% Battery increase-CHEAP
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1696

and this topic not started by Booster but has lots of input from him:
Photog's Lifted Suspension 2009 Roadtrek 190V
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1616

Full floater axle
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2163
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: List of Booster's mods

I did a lot of modifications with my previous Bs but nothing as extensive as Booster's. This last time I put all my effort ahead of time in getting what I desired. Post receiving our B all I have done so far is mount some non-destructive 3M Command mount hooks.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The mods are a big part of the fun of having an RV for me. I get a lot of satisfaction from DIY projects. Things change too though - other interests take over etc. I wonder what mod #2 will be on Alvar
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I agree with Marko, it is half improvement, half hobby, half money saving, half education, half exercise (but not half math)

Add to that our van is still way, way, way, way, less than the price of a house, but very near exactly what we want, and it is a good way to spend my time. I doubt very much that we could get what we want to do, or test, from the marketplace, as we can afford to try and experiment on ourselves, and make mid course corrections. Sure beats sitting in front of the tube!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The mods are a big part of the fun of having an RV for me. I get a lot of satisfaction from DIY projects. Things change too though - other interests take over etc. I wonder what mod #2 will be on Alvar

Davydd doesn't really do mods-he just buys a new one
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm having some mods done as I type. When done we will be able to camp at 0 degrees F and be able to use our water systems. I have already determined we can camp and never have to plug in to shore power and still have full electrical use of our B. On this trip we haven't plugged in since February 23 and have camped half our nights in below freezing overnight weather down to 5 degrees. The weak link was our outside shower faucet and we are changing it out with a new design Advanced RV came up with. The highest temperature we encountered so far since January 26 mostly in the southwest desert has been 85 deg. F.

I've stated many times air conditioning sucks and we rarely use it. Incidentally we camped next to a Roadtrek RS Adventurous from Montana outside Phoenix and it didn't have an air conditioner.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Site Team

DavyDD,
Please keep us updated on the details of your cold-weather mods. I am planning on doing some similar work this summer, and I am proud to steal from the best.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm having some mods done as I type. When done we will be able to camp at 0 degrees F and be able to use our water systems. I have already determined we can camp and never have to plug in to shore power and still have full electrical use of our B. On this trip we haven't plugged in since February 23 and have camped half our nights in below freezing overnight weather down to 5 degrees. The weak link was our outside shower faucet and we are changing it out with a new design Advanced RV came up with. The highest temperature we encountered so far since January 26 mostly in the southwest desert has been 85 deg. F.

I've stated many times air conditioning sucks and we rarely use it. Incidentally we camped next to a Roadtrek RS Adventurous from Montana outside Phoenix and it didn't have an air conditioner.
I just started a new thread on cold weather camping. Glad I came across this one. My perhaps oddball thinking is to install an air pump in the plumbing system. Additionally install relatively conveniently located shut off valves (closed after blowout) on lines like the outside shower so I don't have to worry about them freezing. I got the blowout idea from how I winterize my pool. All lines are blown dry. I do use some anti freeze in a few places but generally just blow lines dry and cap them carefully.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Cannuck, What you seem to describe is winterizing after every use of your water. I would think that would get rather tedious. Most who have gone four season have built, modified or bought vans with fresh water and water lines inside a conditioned space.

Anti-freeze works for waste tanks but you still have to dump and dump stations are generally not available in the winter. That's why people are eying portable cassettes that can be thawed or dumped in a conditioned space or composting toilets. Grey water will always be an issue in very cold weather but anti-freeze, maybe electric heat tape wrap and a macerator pump gives more disposing options.

You have to keep your fresh water and lines above freezing. Inside is one way as I mentioned. With Advanced RV, and Avanti has followed suit, a glycol to water heat exchanger is used and the return glycol staying above 160 deg. F. is bundled and insulated with the water lines to keep them from freezing. ARV also grooves the fresh water tank and runs the glycol return line in the groove to heat the fresh water.

I see this is an old thread. I mentioned I found a weak spot with my outside shower line. Originally I had a single lever that mixed hot and cold water but it would freeze. ARV replaced it with two durable separate quarter turn ball valves that were not susceptible to freezing with simple no-brainer off/on labels. The pex lines could withstand expanding freezing water. Also, the outside shower line is the low point of the fresh water system so is the last thing to drain for winterizing. I doubt you would ever use an outside shower in freezing weather. I discovered the problem because I had accidentally opened the single lever lift and turn valve when the water was frozen. I didn't know I had done that until I hit warm weather and discovered the water was running the first time I turned on the water pump. It took me a couple of minutes of wondering why the pump kept running to discover the problem. As it turned out the original valve was not damaged.