Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default More storage for free

This mod applies to owners of 59g(s) with the older style strap that holds the bed platform up.

This first picture shows how the bed is stored using Winnebago's short strap. Notice the angle of the platform relative to what would be a right angle from its down position.

By replacing the lower strap with some strapping I had and making it longer. the bed platform is now perpendicular to the ground. I just removed the old strap and transferred the plastic keeper to the new strap.

There is no loss of room in the aisle but the storage gain is huge. There is room in that gap for those chairs that fold up into long tube shapes, our pillows and the sleeping bags we sometimes use as bedding. There is no undue tension on the strap loaded as I would load it and I would avoid the temptation to cram a lot of stuff in there and stress that strap holding it all in. If all it needs to do is keep the platform from falling it will last forever. If you strain it, it will pull from the wall.

Here is a shot from the back looking in showing the platform in its new stowed position. That blue thing is a folded up chair.

I recommend you remove the existing strap that's screwed to the wall and double over the material and put it back. It's pretty weak as it comes from the factory. Also, if you don't need the room all the time, the strap can be tightened by simply pulling on the excess strap.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice job, Eric. No sense letting space go to waste in a "B".