Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Mouse Route to Generator

Call me proactive- our old Roadtrek suffered from a bit of mouse infestation in the generator area. I guess (s)he liked the insulation from the wires for insulation/modern art in the new apartment near the carburetor. After re-wiring and cleaning, I prevented future tenants(or so I dreamed) access to this area, via hole where the generator exhaust pipe exits the pan, with the help of wire mesh. That worked until the mice/mouse decided (s)he needed a new place. I guess I should have secured the mesh better. Now we have a newer Roadtrek, and I want to mouseproof it before late Spring.
So how do you prevent mice from entering the generator area? I was thinking of filling the hole with pipe wrap, like on motorcycles and hot rods. Or should I just try to secure the mesh better?
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmanvt View Post
Call me proactive- our old Roadtrek suffered from a bit of mouse infestation in the generator area. I guess (s)he liked the insulation from the wires for insulation/modern art in the new apartment near the carburetor. After re-wiring and cleaning, I prevented future tenants(or so I dreamed) access to this area, via hole where the generator exhaust pipe exits the pan, with the help of wire mesh. That worked until the mice/mouse decided (s)he needed a new place. I guess I should have secured the mesh better. Now we have a newer Roadtrek, and I want to mouseproof it before late Spring.
So how do you prevent mice from entering the generator area? I was thinking of filling the hole with pipe wrap, like on motorcycles and hot rods. Or should I just try to secure the mesh better?

I think I would just try to secure the mesh better, as anything fabic like header wrap would likely chewable unless the glass in it put them off. Mesh has been used forever and works well. Your original mice and the old generator had probably were a bit tougher as there was probably some mouse smell still inside that they were going for and trying harder.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think I would just try to secure the mesh better, as anything fabic like header wrap would likely chewable unless the glass in it put them off. Mesh has been used forever and works well. Your original mice and the old generator had probably were a bit tougher as there was probably some mouse smell still inside that they were going for and trying harder.
yes, make sure your mesh or barrier is not chewable.
tough thick metal.
cherubtravel is offline   Reply With Quote