Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Air Conditioner Project Part 1

My coach air conditioner was not cooling enough. Cool, but not cold. 59 degrees supply air temp. (Roadtrek Popular 190 2000 Dodge) I removed it to inspect and possibly clean/replace. Around the same time I researched possible replacement units, and found a LG LW8016ER on sale at J,C. Penneys for $189. Hmm.... this was a no-brainer since my old unit was 17 years old, and a clean up was no guarantee of future trouble free operation. Picked up the new unit immediately.

I removed the old unit alone. After backing out screws in rear cabinets, bending down metal lip, and cutting some adhesive I was ready. It gets pushed in from the outside.

The new unit is slightly longer than the old unit. No problem since there is room in the rear compartment. The new unit is slightly narrower and shorter than the old unit. This will require a bit of woodworking with some oak stock I had laying around. I will do the woodwork and silicone seal this weekend.

So far the now unit is sitting in place ready to be properly secured.

Howzatt?!?!??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac4.JPG (43.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ac6.JPG (39.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ac8.JPG (44.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ac1.JPG (43.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ac7.JPG (32.2 KB, 10 views)
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

What are you going to do with the rest of the $1,000?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

New ones are nice - you get a remote control with them
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Even though we have different models, you might still want to check out my post for ideas.

But while you are at it, I have a quick question. Is there holes in the A/C cavity allowing water to go into the tray underneath?

After using mine (and hearing water sloshing around at night... lol) I think it's supposed to drip in there but I hadn't noticed the holes and plugged up everything really well! Maybe that was wrong.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Wow, Matt you have a lot of room to change your unit... from the rear no less! I am unsure what you mean about for holes where water needs to go. I have no holes in my upper chamber. I am puzzled by the little water tray you show in your pics... where does the little tray reside? My water drips onto the upper shelf which slightly angles down. As far as I can figure, the condensate goes down the shelf and out the rear grill into the outer channel. Additionally, the new LG unit has a fan wheel which picks up water in its own drip tray, flings it around to be condensed.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote