Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Flooring Ideas for the 1997 Pleasure Way

I want to replace the carpet in my PW. We have small kids and dogs, so I was thinking I would change it all out to vinyl. Is that safe? I feel like I read awhile back that the glue can cause fumes when it heats up and that is unsafe. Any ideas?

Also, under the driver and passenger seat and around the dog house, what's under there and what can that be changed to? Do I have to stick to carpet there?

Any other ideas appreciated. Here are some pics of what I am replacing. Just too much red for me:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00766.jpg (144.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00772.jpg (188.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00773.jpg (173.4 KB, 35 views)
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have replaced the carpet in the rear section of my 97 dodge roadtrek, it had a stained and dirty blue carpet back there, it was fairly easy to take out, it also had the same carpet in the bathroom stall, after doing some research , I ended up going with a linoleum floor as the replacement, I find it nice to walk on, very easy to clean, and it was fairly simlpe to install. My wife loves the new floor, as it really makes the interior much nicer to llok at instead of blue carpet everywhere.afterr I pulled up the old carpet, I cleaned up the plywood sub-floor really well so the adhesive would stick, then I used construction adhesive to the sub floor and layed down the pre cut linoleum flooring, then I placed weights all over the new floor to make sure it doesnt lift while setting. I bought my new flooring at a clearence place as the square footage isnt that big. I believe it was just a few dollars a square foot,,,, hope this helps, ,, if you have any other questions, let me know,,,,,,, thanks,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160402_152526.jpg (201.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20160402_163610.jpg (169.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20160402_152535.jpg (200.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20160402_163618.jpg (179.7 KB, 42 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You could also go with a laminate floor. They're very easy to install but are very rough on saw blades. Most laminate floors are floating floors so no adhesives necessary.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
You could also go with a laminate floor. They're very easy to install but are very rough on saw blades. Most laminate floors are floating floors so no adhesives necessary.
Hey Bruce, have you done this? If so, pics?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
I have replaced the carpet in the rear section of my 97 dodge roadtrek, it had a stained and dirty blue carpet back there, it was fairly easy to take out, it also had the same carpet in the bathroom stall, after doing some research , I ended up going with a linoleum floor as the replacement, I find it nice to walk on, very easy to clean, and it was fairly simlpe to install. My wife loves the new floor, as it really makes the interior much nicer to llok at instead of blue carpet everywhere.afterr I pulled up the old carpet, I cleaned up the plywood sub-floor really well so the adhesive would stick, then I used construction adhesive to the sub floor and layed down the pre cut linoleum flooring, then I placed weights all over the new floor to make sure it doesnt lift while setting. I bought my new flooring at a clearence place as the square footage isnt that big. I believe it was just a few dollars a square foot,,,, hope this helps, ,, if you have any other questions, let me know,,,,,,, thanks,,,,,
. Great stuff! This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. So no issues with the adhesive emitting fumes when/if it gets hot? What did you do around your dog house?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
Platinum Member

some laminates have problems with formaldehyde - this is why lumber liquidators is no longer advertising on your TV every 6 minutes.

be very careful with your choice of material.

a floating floor product has it's own needs for installation- often a membrane underneath to control squeaks, if moisture gets in the tongue and groove, the product may quickly deform- the T&G is not always sealed.

be careful with thickness if you are tall, and always consider weight when adding anything to an RV

I think a lino product gives good result- esp for a DIY. My spouse did a really, really nice peel and stick job in one of ur bathrooms- on her own. came out really good.

a carpeted product has insulation for temps and sound which other products can't equal- but a runner or area carpet over lino will give some of these benefits and be easy to clean and clean around

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have not done laminate in my van, however it has been considered.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I only did the rear section, haven't attempted to do the front yet, that will be a big job, but the carpet is old and dirty, and does need to be replaced
Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I haven't seen anyone else use Marmoleum like I did. One of the best choices I made. Amazingly durable and easy to clean. Feels good underfoot. I found a remnant.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I haven't seen anyone else use Marmoleum like I did. One of the best choices I made. Amazingly durable and easy to clean. Feels good underfoot. I found a remnant.
Do you have any pics? Did you use adhesive?

Thx,
Mark
Old 11-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Google Marmoleum and you will get photos better than any I have. I used "Willow" which is muted swirls of green.

Yes, it absolutely must be glued down with their mastic. A local flooring store loaned me a bucket of the stuff to take what I needed. It also has to be pressed with a roller to seat the backing into the mastic. Sounds harder than it is.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default UPDATED! New Flooring Ideas

Ok, sorry it took so long to post; however, I have finally finished my flooring project. I went with the 7MM Vinyl Plank Flooring you can get at any Home Depot. I am very happy with the outcome! Thanks to all of you who shared tips and tricks.
Here are the results:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3413.jpg (187.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3409.jpg (318.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3406.jpg (222.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Very nicely done, I like the colour also, well done,,,,,,
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
have finally finished my flooring project. I went with the 7MM Vinyl Plank
Looks super nice!

Project #1 in our ‘93 Coachmen is removal of teal carpet and replacement with vinyl plank. Can’t wait!

How difficult was removal of your carpetpad? Was it glued down?

Did you use an underlayment under the vinyl,planks?
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

The carpet in my van was under the kitchen cabinet and in perfect condition there. I just cut it off flush to outer edge of the cabinet & left the piece that was under.

The carpet I removed was glued down but came up without too much difficulty. I did it in manageable sections and scraped off any remaining glue or foam before moving on to the next section.

I made a rough sketch of the floor area that needed to be covered and carefully measured it & transferred that shape to the new flooring. It fit so precisely that there was no need to glue it down or hide the edges. Two metal threshold strips (at front cab area & side door entrance) hold it in place. It has been in place for 6 years now.

I used end-of-the-roll Tarkett brand lay flat fiber flooring so there is no curling of edges. If I ever want to change the flooring I can just lift out what is there and use it as a template.

removed old carpet.JPG

new floor in van.JPG

I think I'll use vinyl plank when I remove the carpet in a larger RV. Saenzm's looks really good
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Mannigton floor

For my floor I used a combo composed of:

1. The original Sprinter passenger van corrugated plastic floor
2. ¼” Thermo-Lite Board Versatile
3. Mannington Commercial Magna Greystone vinyl floor with felt back. Vinyl floor thickness is 0.080” and the heterogeneous vinyl top is 0.55” which is more than regular vinyl floor, good for potential scratch removal. I already fixed a gouge using a piece of this vinyl dissolved in vinyl solvent (PVC Clear Solvent Cement or Cyclohexanone)
to fill it, invisible fix.

Mannington Commercial Micaflec SHEET Resilient

Thermo-Lite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRE13213-1.JPG (415.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GRE13214-1.JPG (359.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg GRE13247-1.JPG (461.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg GRE13216-1.JPG (288.4 KB, 22 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Default Flooring

I just took posession of a 2000 Pleasureway with stained and dirty carpet.

Have removed rear carpet so far and taken the seats out of the front.

Will remove the front carpet today, or at least start it.

No decision yet on replacement material, will go in to Home Depot tomorrow for ideas.
Jamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamelia View Post
I just took posession of a 2000 Pleasureway with stained and dirty carpet.

Have removed rear carpet so far and taken the seats out of the front.

Will remove the front carpet today, or at least start it.

No decision yet on replacement material, will go in to Home Depot tomorrow for ideas.
heh hope u get some great ideas and ur pleasureway will be good as new soon!
cherubtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
Bronze Member

New floor done!
Changed it a bit, but very pleased with results.
Disappointed Weathertech doesn't make custom floor mats..but oh well!!
Was going to add photos, but not sure how
Jamelia is offline   Reply With Quote