Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default New Front Springs and Air Bags 2008 Roadtrek 210

First Post to this Forum.

Last year I made the effort to replace the front springs and add rear air bags to my 2008 Roadtrek 210. The main objective was to increase the ground clearance. I used the information from other's experiences, mainly on this forum, to make my decisions on what parts to use.

Front springs were replaced with Moog 81004. Replaced the top spring seat with Mcquay-Norris 2613590:P. Bought Moog K160021 lower spring seats that didn't seem right, so I reused the existing rubber sleeves. Had to disconnect the front stabilizer bar for the job so was going to replace the bar link bushings, but when looking at prices, decided to replace the link assemblies - Moog K700537.

OEM spring wire was 0.950 " dia.; Moogs are 1.031". OEM had approx. 7 1/2 coils; Moog about 8 1/2. Free lengths virtually the same at 14 3/4 ".

Installed Firestone rear air bags F2337. Wireless control system 2489 (now 2554?) to be installed later.

Thought replacing the coils was going to be the bigger part of the job, but it turned out to be the bag installation. There are brackets that attach to the bottom of the spring u-bolts. Nuts are included in the kit, however the thread was different than the u-bolt thread. Supplied nuts were metric; u-bolts were unified. Apparently, Roadtrek added spacers between the rear axle and leaf springs which required a change to longer u-bolts. I didn't think that adding nuts to the existing bolts would work because of the amount of rust present, so I replaced all the u-bolts and bought extra nuts for them. Not easy. Had to heat them glowing for a 3/4 impact to budge them and still had to cut two of them off.

The new front coils give a 2" increase in height and keep 50-70 psi in the rear bags to stay level. Stability and handling at speed much improved, accompanied by a somewhat stiffer ride - as expected.

Front toe needed big adjustment. Camber seems okay; haven't checked caster.

Very satisfied with results and would recommend these changes to anyone.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

That's a lot of work.

Good to hear you made it work.

Any pix?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Question:
Is the wish to increase ground clearance related to the RT's drop floor?

any idea what is was before and now?

I have a PW and ground clearance has not been as issue- occasional use on USFS roads, I pick my spots and my speeds- but basically going to the same places we went in pick up when tenting.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Gold Member

Yes, it is related to the drop floor because a low point under the vehicle is the macerator, whose position is driven by the waste tanks positions, which are driven by the shower drain - on the floor. However the location of the ground effects added by Roadtrek and run the length of the vehicle are also vulnerably low to the ground as-built.

The vehicle is always near maximum design load (9600 GVWR), and therefore the factory springs are always compressed beyond their nominal operating length for an unaltered van. The new springs put the vehicle at its designed nominal ride height, even though it's heavily loaded.

Only measured vehicle height at the wheel wells before and after. Everything attached to the chassis is now 2" higher than before the change. Minimum clearance is now about 7.5" at macerator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Factory Front Sspension.jpg (195.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg New Coils Going In.jpg (303.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg New spring on Top.jpg (210.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Are you off of the overload leaf in the rear springs, when at normal ride height? I would think that with the blocks still in there you wouldn't be as far off as the rest of us at normal ride height.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Gold Member

You are correct. Overloads still touching, but with 70 psi in the bags, the ride comfort has improved so no plans of further work at this time.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks- my low point 8.75" at ground effects.

no macerator on the PW, my valves are just above the bottom of the skirts.

Thanks for posting after all this work- it'll make easy for me or anyone else to follow

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I had hoped we'd hear from someone who tried the Moog 81004 coils on newer than 2003 model year Chevys. They're easy to locate and good prices can be found.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post39464

& some interchange part numbers:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post38933

Those are nice upgrades on your 210
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I had hoped we'd hear from someone who tried the Moog 81004 coils on newer than 2003 model year Chevys. They're easy to locate and good prices can be found.
I would agree. The Moog are the only ones that we have seen with the 1.03 wire size, and there has been the question as to if they would need to be a bit longer to get the magical 2" lift at the wheelwell.

A 210 probably gets a bit more front lift than a 190 would because of the big rear overhang that would reduce the front end weight, and it looks very good for the 210 with this information.

It would be interesting to see the front and rear wheel weights if they are available.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
First Post to this Forum.

Last year I made the effort to replace the front springs and add rear air bags to my 2008 Roadtrek 210. The main objective was to increase the ground clearance. I used the information from other's experiences, mainly on this forum, to make my decisions on what parts to use.

Front springs were replaced with Moog 81004. Replaced the top spring seat with Mcquay-Norris 2613590:P. Bought Moog K160021 lower spring seats that didn't seem right, so I reused the existing rubber sleeves. Had to disconnect the front stabilizer bar for the job so was going to replace the bar link bushings, but when looking at prices, decided to replace the link assemblies - Moog K700537.

OEM spring wire was 0.950 " dia.; Moogs are 1.031". OEM had approx. 7 1/2 coils; Moog about 8 1/2. Free lengths virtually the same at 14 3/4 ".

Installed Firestone rear air bags F2337. Wireless control system 2489 (now 2554?) to be installed later.

Thought replacing the coils was going to be the bigger part of the job, but it turned out to be the bag installation. There are brackets that attach to the bottom of the spring u-bolts. Nuts are included in the kit, however the thread was different than the u-bolt thread. Supplied nuts were metric; u-bolts were unified. Apparently, Roadtrek added spacers between the rear axle and leaf springs which required a change to longer u-bolts. I didn't think that adding nuts to the existing bolts would work because of the amount of rust present, so I replaced all the u-bolts and bought extra nuts for them. Not easy. Had to heat them glowing for a 3/4 impact to budge them and still had to cut two of them off.

The new front coils give a 2" increase in height and keep 50-70 psi in the rear bags to stay level. Stability and handling at speed much improved, accompanied by a somewhat stiffer ride - as expected.

Front toe needed big adjustment. Camber seems okay; haven't checked caster.

Very satisfied with results and would recommend these changes to anyone.
Good for you. I am in the same process 81004/air bags on my roadtrek chev 190 pop.
Is it a typo error about free length ? When I look at the websites, they mention 17 3/4in, not 14 3/4.
Reason for asking is because I'm in a tangle with my installer. He says he installed 81004 but I took a pic and it shows 18 1/4.
Any pics / measurements would be greatly appreciated here or PM.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring moog length 2.jpg (105.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg springs free 1.jpg (178.4 KB, 13 views)
lejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Gold Member

It is a typo. Free length is 17 3/4. Don't know what the factory tolerance is for this dimension. When measuring the length of the OEM and the 81004, they were both 17 3/4.

What is the issue you are having?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
It is a typo. Free length is 17 3/4. Don't know what the factory tolerance is for this dimension. When measuring the length of the OEM and the 81004, they were both 17 3/4.

What is the issue you are having?
Factory says like yours 17 3/4in. How did you measure free length, any pics ?

My free length too long 18 1/4in. Excessive bowing with springs most lokely touching the schocks. Installer puts the blame on me. Says I specified that pn. Problem is his supplier sent I don't know what but surely not 81004.

Trying to build a case with people who have actually ordered and measured 81004 free length.
Any help from anyone ever played with those 81004 would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #13
Gold Member

Comparative lengths of old (left) and new (right) can be visually judged in this pic. Don't have any showing a scale. I used this set-up to measure the length of the springs - the distance between the boards - both being 17 3/4".

You could ask for a receipt or invoice that the installer received from his supplier, to try and identify what was ordered. I used Moog, but there are several other manufacturers that make their version of this spring. Could explain the 1/2" difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OEM & Moog 81004 Springs.jpg (237.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
Silver Member

GroupB, your Moog seems to have 9 1/4 coils. Mine have more or less 9...

Do I understand that your measurement is from tip to tip on the moog? In other words were the tips of the Moog touching the boards ?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Silver Member

GroupB,
Delete that last post, I recounted on your pic and see almost 9.
Just tired, sorry