Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Default No See Um Screen Mod

Just returned from several weeks in Florida that included a stay at Collier Seminole State Park in the Everglades. We usually run the exhaust fan on low speed with the screened windows cracked open at night. Found out that No See Ums were coming through the factory screens so we closed up, kicked on the AC and got the critters before they got us. It is nice to have a white ceiling liner.

Once home, I removed the two rear quarter panel window screen frames and replaced the screens with No See Um screening. The screen frames were held into the window assembly with four clips each so popping them out and popping in the modified screen frames was easy.

With the screen frames removed, I pulled the vinyl spline out from each frame without damaging them. Then I used a spline roller tool to reinstall the vinyl spline with the No See Um screening. Also ordered a replacement Fantastic Fan Screen and added No See Um screening to that to stop critters when the fan stops during the night after the temperature setting has been reached.

The picture shows the difference between the regular screen on the bottom and a modified screen on the top.

Looking forward to testing them out when we head up to the Bay of Fundy later this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.jpg (430.2 KB, 31 views)

2000 Roadtrek 190P
Tiki Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks for showing the pix...those little buggers are really a problem.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Beautiful job. I still have to do my own screens like that. Oh, the endless priority list.

I spent 4 years of my life on the edge of the Bay of Fundy and only ran into a bad no-see-um swarm one time. Black flies and mosquitoes are far larger issues there, as are ticks that carry Lyme disease - on the NS side, they can be almost impossible to avoid. Get a Duluth Trading tick key or similar device for your rig if you don't already have one.

Where I've really hit bad no-see-ums is in deep east Texas in summer. Awful.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no see um, screens