Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan Fuel pump mod

I have noted in the past that some have moved the Onan fuel pump and filter outside the case. I have a couple of questions to put out regarding that potential mod.

1. Is it possible to to the fuel pump mod without dropping the unit? It appears that you can easily get to the carburetor fuel connection through the access door so it would be relatively simple to cut a slop to run the fuel line from there. Is it possible to get to the power wire? can one drill a hole in the side of the case and fish the wire out from the outside? It appears that the pump is located at the forward driver's side of the case, is this at all feasible?

2. Is it possible to connect a new pump in series as a booster pump? That has the same power issue, however.

Clearly, I don't really want to tool up with a lift and platform and attempt to lower the generator if there is another way of getting the job done. Any ideas?

Thanks for any ideas.
John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I have noted in the past that some have moved the Onan fuel pump and filter outside the case. I have a couple of questions to put out regarding that potential mod.

1. Is it possible to to the fuel pump mod without dropping the unit? It appears that you can easily get to the carburetor fuel connection through the access door so it would be relatively simple to cut a slop to run the fuel line from there. Is it possible to get to the power wire? can one drill a hole in the side of the case and fish the wire out from the outside? It appears that the pump is located at the forward driver's side of the case, is this at all feasible?

2. Is it possible to connect a new pump in series as a booster pump? That has the same power issue, however.

Clearly, I don't really want to tool up with a lift and platform and attempt to lower the generator if there is another way of getting the job done. Any ideas
John
Yep, the booster pump idea should work.

You would be better served to acquire the capability to drop the generator. Put the rear wheels on about six inches of ramp. You can use a bottle Jack to help remove the four side bolts to free the generator, a double stack of orange blocks to manually lower it to the ground and a piece of carpet to slide it out from under. You will have to detach the AC power cable from the transfer switch inside.

A more complete set of instructions is in another thread.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I live in an RV "Resort" in Tucson and don't really have any available facility to pull it off. That is why I was looking for a way to accomplish it without dropping the unit. I can get under it, however.

John
Old 07-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I live in an RV "Resort" in Tucson and don't really have any available facility to pull it off. That is why I was looking for a way to accomplish it without dropping the unit. I can get under it, however.
You can do it in a driveway. Put a fuel pump booster in with a toggle switch. You can drop it in my driveway in Tempe in September if you want.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Driveway

I might take you up on that when I get back to Tucson in October.

John Freitag