Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Picts of an Airlift installed on a Chevy Express?

I am in the process of getting my suspension upgrade parts installed. The mechanic has said that if I can get pictures of the airbags installed it would be very helpful to him.

2004 Chevy Express 3500
Roadtrek 190 Popular
Airlift Load Lifter 5000 ULTIMATE Air Springs w/ Jounce Bumper

Bonus points if you know a good spot close the the airbags to install an air compressor

Air Lift Wireless Air Remote Air Compressor System
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
I am in the process of getting my suspension upgrade parts installed. The mechanic has said that if I can get pictures of the airbags installed it would be very helpful to him.

2004 Chevy Express 3500
Roadtrek 190 Popular
Airlift Load Lifter 5000 ULTIMATE Air Springs w/ Jounce Bumper

Bonus points if you know a good spot close the the airbags to install an air compressor

Air Lift Wireless Air Remote Air Compressor System

I think my original pix are buried in a post somewhere and probably a bit hard to find, but here is a link to the thread I had on removing the overload leafs, and you can see the Air Lift installation fairly well.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...leaf-6715.html

I put our compressor on the left side frame rail just behind the trans crossmember.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The instructions should be easy for any mechanic to reference.

I installed my compressor to the frame here -

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post60193

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks, the pictures are very helpful.

The compressor is the exact kit that I have. Did you install a tank to use it to fill the tires? AirLift says that you can’t do that with this model. I am not sure why, it seems like you could put a small tank in the system somewhere and you’re off the races.

After all, they are just the manufacturer. What would they know about what their product can and cannot do?
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

No, I carry a small compressor with me just for tires & such.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
Thanks, the pictures are very helpful.

The compressor is the exact kit that I have. Did you install a tank to use it to fill the tires? AirLift says that you can’t do that with this model. I am not sure why, it seems like you could put a small tank in the system somewhere and you’re off the races.

After all, they are just the manufacturer. What would they know about what their product can and cannot do?

We have a similar compressor with a small tank located in a similar location under the van. We also have a tire filling port with a hose long enough to reach all the tires. It can also be used to blow out our water system if we are headed into cold weather.

Compressors will tend to short cycle on and off if they don't have a tank or some other type of air volume to work into. The air bags might be enough to keep the cycling reasonable as long as you are just filling them and then shutting off the compressor, but probably not if there is auto maintain or load controlled air needed.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:59 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I'm on the Alcan at the moment and the need to make serious suspension changes to my 2005 Roadtrek Versatile-190 is becoming painfully clear. I've been thinking about it for quite some time, but it seems like only the Bible has more written about it. This looks like a promising thread and I've subscribed to it. Specifics are appreciated and front suspension recommendations are also solicited (Bilstein - Moog?)

Over the years several different approaches have been pursued, so there may be some concensus. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Thanks for your time.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasail View Post
I'm on the Alcan at the moment and the need to make serious suspension changes to my 2005 Roadtrek Versatile-190 is becoming painfully clear. I've been thinking about it for quite some time, but it seems like only the Bible has more written about it. This looks like a promising thread and I've subscribed to it. Specifics are appreciated and front suspension recommendations are also solicited (Bilstein - Moog?)

Over the years several different approaches have been pursued, so there may be some concensus. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Thanks for your time.

Alcan is a different animal
The washboard, the gravel, the mud . . .
and add the constant distance to the mix

You might want to start a new thread on the topic.