Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Plumbed shower drain into gray waste water tank

I connected the shower drain in my van to the gray waste water tank. It's something I wanted to do ever since I purchased the van.

The shower drain in my van is/was a custom made made fitting that reduced and extended the standard shower drain to garden hose fitting under the van. That gave me two options for handling water from the shower; 1. run a hose to nearby bushes when wilderness camping, or 2. run a hose to the sewer connection on a campsite. It did not give me any option to use the shower if overnighting in a parking lot for example.

So I added a "Y" fitting with shut-off valves at the shower drain end and a "T" fitting on the drain plumbing running from the the galley sink to the gray waste water tank. Now I can direct the shower drain water to gray waste water tank. The shut off valve will prevent any water from the gray tank plumbing from backing up through the shower pan drain.

I was only able to use 5/8" hose so it is far from perfect and I might have to clean that hose periodically.

I had only used the shower in the van once before because of the lack of proper draining so I'm looking forward to using it. It gives us a fairly standard Class B option that we missed having.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Plumbed shower drain into gray waste water tank

My new to me coachmen Saratoga has no shower inside so I am thinking of combining the Roadtrek and Travato ideas and utilize the depression in the kitchen area as a shower pan. I will install a kitchen faucet with a pull out hose,shower curtain and a 12 volt pump to have water pump into the sink. I will make the floor depression water proof of course. Very clever solution on your part Marko
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Gold Member

Where does the shower water go in a 95 Roadtrek 190P?
In NM it is legal to run grey water off onto the ground when wilderness camping on Forest Service and BLM land, which is very useful. It would be nice to know about other states.

Seeking Knowledge, Dreaming of Wisdom
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I only have one holding tank in my American Cruiser...I wonder how typical this is.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
I only have one holding tank in my American Cruiser...I wonder how typical this is.
It isn't typical at all, but it should be. Having separate black and gray tanks makes no sense at all in this day and age. Our old Airstream Interstate had a single tank and I loved it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
Our old Airstream Interstate had a single tank and I loved it.
Speaking for myself, I can't say I exactly "love" my holding tanks <gag>

I think the theory behind separate tanks is that the grey is used to rinse after the black is dumped. However, one large tanks is certainly more versatile, would probably be less subject to clogging, and would simplify the dumping.

Seeking Knowledge, Dreaming of Wisdom
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote