Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Porthole window that opens

Hi,

I'm looking for a porthole style van window that opens (see photo). Ideally a frameless all-glass look like the Kinro 2000 or Hehr 6400 series windows.
Any suggestions?

It's an ambitious project to add a porthole in our windowless bathroom inspired by the round door window, mirror and sink.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Check for marine products

There are companies in Europe that supply large (600-1000mm) ones for cruise ships, but don't know where to buy.

PIVOTING ROUND WINDOW

If 9-10" okay, then Defender sells Vetus

Marine Opening Ports on Sale
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks a lot BodB!
I have been looking for a long time for this info. Will check if it fits the tight space left in my conversion.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Thanks a lot BodB!
I have been looking for a long time for this info. Will check if it fits the tight space left in my conversion.
Well, hopefully one of them will fit. Cut out sizes range from 6-7/8" to 9-5/16". Not really large, but should give light and ventilation to the bathroom. You can probably go on the Vetus site and get installation instruction, too.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Well, hopefully one of them will fit. Cut out sizes range from 6-7/8" to 9-5/16". Not really large, but should give light and ventilation to the bathroom. You can probably go on the Vetus site and get installation instruction, too.
Thanks, I need to be able to leave the porthole open so my understanding is that all Marine products typically open inside, not like RV awning windows. The pivoting round windows is my best lead up to now, but the smallest 60cm/ 24" is too big for my van wall structure (14" max width of available space for cut-out between wall ribs and the bathroom enclosure).

Ideally, I would like to have the equivalent of Kinro or Hehr frameless glass RV split window with the bottom half of a 12"/14" circular window that is an awning vent. Maybe I could have it custom made $$?

Thanks for the help. Will keep on searching.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I need to be able to leave the porthole open so my understanding is that all Marine products typically open inside, not like RV awning windows. The pivoting round windows is my best lead up to now, but the smallest 60cm/ 24" is too big for my van wall structure (14" max width of available space for cut-out between wall ribs and the bathroom enclosure).

Ideally, I would like to have the equivalent of Kinro or Hehr frameless glass RV split window with the bottom half of a 12"/14" circular window that is an awning vent. Maybe I could have it custom made $$?

Thanks for the help. Will keep on searching.
You might try calling CRLaurence (who make RV operable windows) - they make fixed round windows; maybe they can custom make an operable one

11035S - CRL 12" Round Porthole Window Tinted Tempered Glass for 1/8" or 1-1/2" Wall

Amazon.com: CRL 12" Round Porthole Window Tinted Tempered Glass - 1/8" or 1-1/2" Wall: Automotive

Found this

Big Doors - Vistabule

Looks like an operable window, except I would want it open from top. Someone made that for them or they bought it off the shelf.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

BobB, Thanks for the help!

This is getting close to what I want to install. I will ask Vistabule if it's custom made or available off the shelf. Nice little Teardrop trailer, will post it on my Kampervan Flipboard magazine https://flipboard.com/@gogeorges/kampervan-u5qd3sehy

Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
BobB, Thanks for the help!

This is getting close to what I want to install. I will ask Vistabule if it's custom made or available off the shelf. Nice little Teardrop trailer, will post it on my Kampervan Flipboard magazine
Tell them that you want to post it on your magazine; they might be more inclined to help you source the window

Over the years I have gotten pretty good at Google. Often find searching images gives me better (and faster) results.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Tell them that you want to post it on your magazine; they might be more inclined to help you source the window

Over the years I have gotten pretty good at Google. Often find searching images gives me better (and faster) results.
George,

I was looking for something else online and came across this supplier of the round Vetus portholes - but these are stainless steel! At least they have prices posted. And you can get them with screens! Pricey, but you only need one.

SailBoatStuff Vetus Round Stainless Steel Portholes, Manship Stainless Steel Portholes, Stainless Steel Screws and parts
Old 11-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks a lot BobB,

Nice portholes, but they only open from the inside.

And no news from Vistabule.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot BobB,

Nice portholes, but they only open from the inside.

And no news from Vistabule.
At least you know what they cost now
Keep plugging on Vistabule - I think those are the ones you want. Someone must make them for them.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:08 PM   #12

Opening the porthole sounds great. I had the same thought. Gave up and went with the CRL that BobB mentions got mine from this site. I asked them about customs and told them how many people would like and opening. They mentioned having to buy 100+ windows. Van Porthole Window
Jon79 is offline   Reply With Quote