Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Problematic Velcro attachment to plastic MB trim

I found attaching Velcro to MB trim plastic (PE) problematic. For my window covers Velcros are keeping covers spread and they often fell off. To remedy the problem, I purchased Velcro hook rigid disks and attached them using VHB precut circles. To further secure them so they stay put I used either short screws for plastics or short sheet metal screws. I hope this will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02899.JPG (437.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02900.JPG (386.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02901.JPG (240.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02902.JPG (205.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02904.JPG (308.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02905.JPG (408.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02908.JPG (394.9 KB, 8 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I found attaching Velcro to MB trim plastic (PE) problematic. For my window covers Velcros are keeping covers spread and they often fell off. To remedy the problem, I purchased Velcro hook rigid disks and attached them using VHB precut circles. To further secure them so they stay put I used either short screws for plastics or short sheet metal screws. I hope this will work.

We have had similar type issues sticking things to the GM plastic panels in our Chevy Roadtrek. I took something like 6 tries to get a couple of cup holders to stick to the rear door panels using VHB. Cleaning with Gumout carb cleaner and then isopropyl did pretty will, but will damage the texture of the surface some so needs to be carefully done.

I think it is a combination of things, including the basic plastic, mold release, and appearance treatments like Armoural messing things up.

One thing that does seem to help with Velcro is to use substantially larger pieces on the hard to stick to pieces than on the matching piece. For instance the piece on the door would be a 3" circle and on the mounted piece 3/4". Adhesive peels from the edges much more easily than from the center were it can't peel (tension only), so a small dot in the middle of a big one, just large enough to hold the weight, might work much better.

You can also shave down the fuzzy side of the Velcro a bit to weaken the hold to spare the adhesive if you don't have a heavy piece to hold.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Site Team

I have had very good luck using RTV adhesives to glue stuff to automotive plastics. Not epoxy strong, but very good for lighter duty work. As an extra bonus, you can usually remove it without damage to the underlying plastic.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

I just ordered magnets from amazon, 3/4" diameter, thinking that sewing them around the border should do the trick
boutdone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pe trim, velcro, vhb