Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Redo the rear bed in a RT190

Has anyone redone the rear bed/dinette layout in a Chevy RT190?

I am a solo traveller and the size of the rear bed is wasteful of space for me.

My thoughts are to remove the existing layout, build a single permanent bed on one side of the rear compartment, and then have the open space on the other side for maybe more storage, or more likely I would try to build in some sort of workstation/office since I still work part time and having a permanent spot for my laptop and other gear would be a nice feature.

Anyone who knows of someone having published this sort of modification I would sure like to see pics etc. Thanks, Mike.
MikeK5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yep, it is on this forum somewhere with pictures. He just widened the bed on one side by six or 8 inches by adding a triangular brace and a piece of wood. He didn't have to remove anything.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yep, it is on this forum somewhere with pictures. He just widened the bed on one side by six or 8 inches by adding a triangular brace and a piece of wood. He didn't have to remove anything.
Could be my thread, not sure, or, if that is what the OP is thinking about.

Search for:

"My solution to the Roadtrek narrow bed"
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Deano, thanks, that looks very much like what I am thinking about.

I would like to make the drivers side bed about that size, but permanent with a new base cabinet and a "trucker" style mattress. Then remove the passenger side cabinet completely along with the "trunk" space across the back, to allow easy access to at least the passenger side rear door. (this part is still in the thinking stage, the "trunk" could be useful.

Use the freed up passenger side space for a desk/workstation or whatever else makes sense. I know the drivers side bed contains the house battery, inverter etc not sure what may be under the passenger side that I will need to contend with.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Just an opinion but I see no reason to remove any valuable cabinet space to get your desk and workspace..
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just an opinion but I see no reason to remove any valuable cabinet space to get your desk and workspace..
I only plan to remove the under-bed storage on the passenger side, and at least some of that will be made up for by the larger storage under the drivers side bed.

I don't actually have the van yet, hopefully picking it up this week. I will make my final plans once I can see what all is stored under the two couches in the dinette/bed area.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Hi I'm trying to find your post for widening bed..can't seem to??? It's what I'm trying t o do...help..thanks linda
lindadoglady@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadoglady@aol.com View Post
Hi I'm trying to find your post for widening bed..can't seem to??? It's what I'm trying t o do...help..thanks linda

Hi lindadoglady and others,

I started to widen my 05/04 190P bed something like posted, but Stopped. It was Much simpler the more I thought about it.

I moved the nightstand from the center of the 190 to the side of the passenger bed. Off to Homedepot to have a sheet of plywood cut the right length and 6 inches wider than the drivers side bed. At home I cut the plywood to fit the back of the 190, quick and easy. I then put 3 inches of lightweight but very firm foam, too firm to sleep on. Then on top of that some memory foam that is Not hot to sleep on.

I have changed the top memory foam once and at this point, I don't know how to improve on the bed! My king size bed at home is also custom, and I don't know how to improve on that either!

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Thanks that's a little more to my skill level..lol. I'll look into it...linda
Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Bronze Member

O....what about the access to the stuff underneath...water shutoff etc.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadoglady@aol.com View Post
O....what about the access to the stuff underneath...water shutoff etc.
I don't access the underneath from the top of the bed area. I can access the electrical fuses, etc. from the side next to the floor. But if necessary, I would just move the foam and sheet of plywood if I needed better access to the hot water heater - no big deal.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote