Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 02:07 AM   #1

Default Remove PW tv cabinet

Hello,
Newbie to the world of class B and this forum just purchased 2009 Pleasure-Way Excel TS. Wondering if anyone has experience removing the TV cabinet and replacing it all with a flat screen, much like how the later model units have it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3852.jpg (109.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3862.jpg (136.3 KB, 37 views)
arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If the picture is of the original PW installation I would just replace the TV with the same size flat screen and use the freed up space to store DVDs. The original cabinet is impressive, why toss it?
Harry 2003 C190P
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

Hello Harry,
I'd like to keep the bed down permanently and then have the two jump seats, together with a table as a dinette. Right now my head hits the TV cabinet. The newer models have a simple flat screen TV attached to the wall and the intrusion into that space is minimal.
Thanks for your reply.
--Arie--
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

PW uses a lot of attaching hardware. To remove my corner cabinet in my 92 I think it was 10 L brackets. Look under and inside and you'll see them, they're not that big but they work well.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie.bomhof@gmail.com View Post
Hello Harry,
I'd like to keep the bed down permanently and then have the two jump seats, together with a table as a dinette. Right now my head hits the TV cabinet. The newer models have a simple flat screen TV attached to the wall and the intrusion into that space is minimal.
Thanks for your reply.
--Arie--
As you can see, that cabinet holds a lot of hardware. If you removed it you would have a lot of rewiring and most likely would have to sacrifice one of your upper cabinets to hold everything. If you did that, your TV is still going to be mounted on an arm and still could protrude probably at least 6-8 inches and still be a head banger. Mounted directly on a flat wall would leave it at an odd angle for viewing especially from the passenger side. Luckily most all TVs today can accommodate that viewing without angle visual degradation.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Thank you Davydd,
It's true that most of the wiring would need to be held in the cabinet above. There is also the possibility of not replacing the TV at all. How many people actually watch TV while rving/camping? Once in a while you might like to watch a movie but you could watch it on your laptop.
--Arie--
Old 08-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

The good thing with Pleasure-way is that they use screws to attach their cabinets. ie. the box can be removed without damaging other components.

Since you do not need the TV, it makes the job easier.

Do you want to keep the AC socket?
If you do, then you will need to rewire and relocate the inverter to the cabinet above.
Otherwise, you can simply remove all the wires and electronics.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I attached my new samsung to the swinging door.

I made a couple of brackets to attach to the backside of the door, and the stock mounting bracket positions on the rear of the tv.

we use a samsung which was about $130 at costco- it was easy easy to replace the old std def tv...and strip out the converters etc.
the samsung is native 12 volt, it has a headphone jack which matched the wiring for the old tv into the sound system, it also accepts movies stored on the usb drive

this retains the storage behind the tv, which i use for electronics and 'stuff"

mike

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The good thing with Pleasure-way is that they use screws to attach their cabinets. ie. the box can be removed without damaging other components.

Since you do not need the TV, it makes the job easier.

Do you want to keep the AC socket?
If you do, then you will need to rewire and relocate the inverter to the cabinet above.
Otherwise, you can simply remove all the wires and electronics.

If you don't need or want a TV then that inverter is not really necessary. You would also lose your radio receiver in removing the cabinet. The wall behind the cabinet is a vinyl wall covering. which would have to be replaced unless you want to see a series of screw holes.

I had a Pleasure-way with a cabinet like that. On balance the number of times I sat on that ottoman for anything was not worth its removal. I understand the irritation. I had two Bs with hangover cabinets which is quite common to capture as much space as possible. That was one thing I eliminated in my current B though my TV cabinet is no longer in the way. I redesigned it from ARV's standard.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #10

Thanks all. Your answers and experiences are greatly appreciated. I think I will take my time proceeding. I do like the idea of removing everything and to install a small DC digital TV as Mike suggested.
--Arie--
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Platinum Member

pics here:

https://goo.gl/photos/8FURu2JRAzJv8NoV7

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote